Wiring a power shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I need a little advice on wiring up a power shower (electrically pumped mixer) please.
I have taken a spur off a socket and want to drop this down into the airing cupboard (which backs onto the shower) then run it to a 2 Way Consumer Unit with 63A 30mA RCD Incomer, 1 x 50A MCB then to a 3A switched box before connecting to the shower unit.
Is it ok to do it this way? If not what is the easiest way for me to do it without the use of an electrician?

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
Take the spur to an RCD socket single or double in the airing cupboard and then plug the power shower with a 3 pin plug containing a 3Amp fuse.

Is the mixer in the airing cupboard as well?

Sponsored Links
Take the spur to an RCD socket single or double in the airing cupboard and then plug the power shower with a 3 pin plug containing a 3Amp fuse.

Is the mixer in the airing cupboard as well?
What do you mean by RCD socket?
The shower unit is an all in one mixer and pump which is in the shower cubicle.

It's a Socket which incorporates a 30mA RCD.
You can also obtain Switched Fused Connection Units with the same arrangement should you wish to 'hard-wire' it.

If that socket circuit you've spurred from is not already RCD protected, then

83049_P
or
27025_P

The sockets are all RCD protected so there for so is the spur.
So is it ok just to connect the spur via a switched 3A FCU?

In that case I'll take the shower consumer unit back to Screwfix, just hope they will take it back now I've opened it.
Thanks to everyone for their help, wish I'd checked here before I ordered what I thought I needed.

I understand what you're saying but you have to start learning some where and as this isn't exactly a difficult job I'd rather not pay another ridiculous fee for something that I can do myself with a little advice from those who know more than me, plus from what I can gather what I was going to do wasn't dangerous just unnecessary. If I have still got it wrong then please tell me where and advise me the correct way.
Thanks again for the advice given.

I don't know what else you have got, or might get, wrong.

What I do know is that even though your socket circuits are RCD protected you thought you needed another one, and I do know that you are so ignorant of electrical accessories that you went and bought a CU with an RCD and a pointless 50A MCB.

(BTW - installing that CU would have required you to obtain Building Regulations approval first).

From what I do know I see someone who is generally not yet competent to be doing electrical work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back