Wiring a power shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need some help on if this is safe or not...

I want to fit a power shower, but to run the cable to my fuse box means i will either I have to make A LOT of tracks in my wall which will make a big mess be very time consuming and ill have to plaster. Or use very ugly trunking.

My question is.... Outside my bathroom is the boiler cupboard with the main switch to turn the boiler/hot water/heating on and off. If I change this switch for a split RCD plug socket/switch can I then use a 3 pin plug on the shower and it still be safe????

Hope this makes sense thank you

Sponsored Links
Ok thank you for clearing that up.

Do you happen to know any other way of wiring the shower without going to the fuse box?

What's your heating setup? You could always use a non-electric shower off your hot water tank (if you have one) with a pump.

Sponsored Links
i did think about using the non electric shower but my water pressure is very poor.

to be honest i haven't got the shower as yet so if you had any advice on a particular one the a better way of fitting it, i would be grateful

I don't think an electric shower will help if your pressure is poor, post more details about your heating setup and maybe ask for ideas in the heating section instead.

where are you going to locate the shower pump?

did you know that any modification to fixed wiring will have to be done either by a qualified electrician who can provide a certificate or if you do it yourself you have to notify the LABC and pay a fee? They will then inspect the work to make sure it has been done correctly.

It would appear as though you need to put in a supply to this shower pump as you have already suggested that you didnt really want to run a cable back to your consumer unit..

Normally i have seen shower pumps located in the airing cupboard or under the bath and they have all been supplied from a FCU spur off the socket ring main fused at 3 amps which has been outside the area.

electric shower the sort you just add water pipe and bolt to the wall.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/triton-enlight-ii-manual-electric-shower-gloss-black-9-5kw/89054#

this type of shower.

9.5kW will draw 41Amps, your ring main is ok upto around 30, your 3 pin plug is ok upto 13, your socket is ok upto 20

So it's not an option unless you put a dedicated feed back to the CU, which you aren't allowed to do, you must get someone qualified to do this work.

The other option is a shower which runs off your hot water tank (if you have one) and has a pump which can be run from your airing cupboard.

and here i was thinking he was installing a power shower.......

There ought to be an educational page with one of the topics being Power Shower V Electric Shower.

The other option is a shower which runs off your hot water tank (if you have one) and has a pump which can be run from your airing cupboard.

But you will still need somebody qualified to sort out the wiring.

The shower the Silvafox has linked to is an instant heat shower.

It requires connection to the cold water rising main.
It needs 10mm cable from the consumer unit and a 40/45A CPD. (Plus an RCD, of course!)

All of this is detailed in the MI's that can be found on that web page.

Silvafox. When you say
but my water pressure is very poor

Do you mean the water coming out of the taps in the bath? Do you have a hot water tank and a cold water tank in the loft?

If so, a pump is all you really need to boost the gravity fed water.

There's no point having an instant heat shower if your mains pressure is bad. What is the pressure like at the kitchen sink. That should be straight off the incoming water supply?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back