Wiring a Programmer for a heated towel rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have installed a heated towel rail and passed the cable through the wall to the room behind where I can pick up the main circuit. To control the timer on the rail I have bought a cheap programmer http://www.horstmann.co.uk/download...tral-Heating/C11-InstallationInstructions.pdf from screwfix.

I have tested the heater by hard wiring it in - and all seems fine. However I can't figure out how to wire the programmer correctly. The programmer comes on and off ok but the heater is not coming on so I'm sure I have it wrong in the programmer or the programmer is not working.

I have connected the main IN to the N and L (see the pdf link) and connected the L and N to the heater to pins 2 and 4. This is clearly wrong.

Can anyone advise me please? The electrical details are in the link above.
Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Whats the wattage of the towel rail?

Those CH programmers are only rated at 3amps.

You would probably be better off using an immersion heater timer. They are designed to switch higher loads than heating programmers.

The heating programmer you have should be OK for a heater of less than 700 Watts.

If your heater is rated at less than 700 Watts, try:-

Mains supply to L & N.

Fit a wire link between L & 2.

Heater between 4 & N.

Connect heater and mains supply earths tigether.

Sponsored Links
That programmer you have is fine for this small load.

N Neutral
L Permanent live
2 Link this to the live terminal
4 Brown to you towel rail

Here is the wiring diagram - just want to know where to connect the cables to the heater and if this needs L and 2 connected.
It's not that clear from the instructions.

Is the 3A unit enough to drive a 400W element?

thanks
Mike
wires.gif
[/img]

Yep all works fine now - thanks for the help. Now I can have warm dry towels early on weekdays and late at the weekend. What a lazy b :)
Cheers
Mike

I don't want to rain on your parade:

Does the circuit you have fed the towel rail from have an RCD?

Have you carried out equipotential bonding from the radiator to all other extraneous conductive parts in the bathroom?

Are you aware that it is a legal requirement to notify the local authority BEFORE carrying out any DIY electrical works in a bathroom?. Refer to this link

Here is the wiring diagram - just want to know where to connect the cables to the heater and if this needs L and 2 connected.
Sorry, but that diagram is as clear as an incredibly clear thing that is incredibly clear, and you should have taken the fact that you couldn't understand it as an incredibly clear warning not to attempt electrical work.

Ditto.

Its always great to see when someone posts in a forum looking for help and lots of lovely people jump in to bestow knowledge helping out said person.

Until the last two comments, when some high poster feels the need to express their internet superiority and add to their post count by posting some general unnecessary comment not providing any help what so ever.

Brings a general downer to forums :(

But back on topic, thanks to all the other posters who helped me out with a similar problem!

Until the last two comments, when some high poster feels the need to express their internet superiority and add to their post count by posting some general unnecessary comment not providing any help what so ever.
Mine provided help.

This diagram really IS extremely clear, and explicit about what needs to be done.

screenhunter05jan231215.jpg

And if someone can't understand it, or doesn't know how many amps a 400W load draws then they should not be doing electrical work.

Taking that on board might save their lives - playing around with electrics in ignorance of how it works and how to do things correctly is a stupidly dangerous thing to do.

But clearly you don't think that advice which might save a persons life is helpful.

And TTC's provided help, but you also appear to not think that advising people to check if they have RCD protection or adequate supplementary equipotential bonding is helpful.

I think you should just go away.

Sorry, but that diagram is as clear as an incredibly clear thing that is incredibly clear, and you should have taken the fact that you couldn't understand it as an incredibly clear warning not to attempt electrical work.

Ditto.
That is so funny mate and very true

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back