Wiring a replacement ceiling lamp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Edit: sorry accidentally cut the title and hit post. Basically my Nan needs a new light fitting...

First of all, she tried the spark route and he said no it’s not worth the petrol to come out for one light.

I brought the instructions home with me... but I can’t make sense of them

Firstly her current light ceiling rose, simple enough. Old wiring of course. Loop in, loop out, switched line, etc.

4zHiAMR.jpg

Then this is the instructions for her new light

GhZ16j0.jpg

I think the loop in is a misprint and it’s meant to be red or brown?

Is that spare terminal opposite the loop in meant for the switch?

Sponsored Links
Edit: sorry accidentally cut the title and hit post. Basically my Nan needs a new light fitting...

First of all, she tried the spark route and he said no it’s not worth the petrol to come out for one light.

I brought the instructions home with me... but I can’t make sense of them

Firstly her current light ceiling rose, simple enough. Old wiring of course. Loop in, loop out, switched line, etc.

4zHiAMR.jpg

Then this is the instructions for her new light

GhZ16j0.jpg

No it isn't. It's misprinted in the instructions. It is for the three red conductors that are currently in the loop terminal in the rose.
The switched live goes to the new light fittings live terminal. That is the red conductor currently in the terminal with the brown in the ceiling rose. You should mark it clearly before removing the wiring from the rose ,you don't want to mix it up with the other reds !!

Why not just throw the instructions away and wire it the same way as the one that’s coming off plus the earth wire?

Sponsored Links

Correct, loop in is where all, but one of those red wires need to go.

Nothing should go in the far end of the one marked loop in. although if you cannot squeeze those three reds into one end, you could put two in one end, one in the other.

That one red wire, the one adjacent to your brown flex, goes into the terminal marked Switch Wire.

It looks as if you cable going to the switch is white outer, with two reds, which makes it easy to identify.

Is the new light fitting not big enough to go over all of it?

Why not just throw the instructions away and wire it the same way as the one that’s coming off plus the earth wire?

Yes it is yet another example of manufacturers instructions being wrong. Not only have they got the loop colour wrong they are also suggesting lights are on rings.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. Forgot to mention the light is actually from Dunelm! It's alarming they mislabelled the instructions!

Correct, loop in is where all, but one of those red wires need to go.

Nothing should go in the far end of the one marked loop in. although if you cannot squeeze those three reds into one end, you could put two in one end, one in the other.

That one red wire, the one adjacent to your brown flex, goes into the terminal marked Switch Wire.

It looks as if you cable going to the switch is white outer, with two reds, which makes it easy to identify.

Thank you, I appreciate it. So if I've read it right, would this be correct?

EU9pIAi.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back