Help identifying wiring in ceiling rose (w/picture)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks in advance for any help!

I'm attempting to replace the first floor lighting loop in my house, and have run into a problem before I've even started. When I removed the cover from the first ceiling rose in the loop the wiring is confusing me, this ceiling rose is for the upstairs landing light, which is linked to the downstairs landing light, with one switch upstairs and another downstairs. If my guess is correct, the pendant has been wired with the wires to the lamp crossed over (live to neutral, neutral to live) and the supply to the downstairs lamp run from this pendant by doubling up the wires in the terminals, - does this sound likely?

View media item 1687

Sponsored Links
Are both the upstairs and downstairs lights on the same switches? If so then your explanation sounds likely.

As best as I can see from your photo

First of all the lamp holder is connected backwards L-N & N-L

Centre terminals permanent live (Live supply in, live supply to switch, live supply out to next room)

Right terminals switched live (Black switched live from switch, red feeding other lamp downstairs and blue lamp holder flex)

Left terminals neutral connection

Earths should be sleeved

Sponsored Links
Guys, - thanks for all your words of wisdom, - I've decided to bite the bullet and pay to get a sparky in to do the work - it's probably the best way for me to remain safe and sane!

stem look at the photo again - you're wrong!
I am? For my enlightenment could you explain what I've seen wrong. My post was based on the following. I've counted the terminals from the left.

Neutral Terminals
1. Brown to pendant (should be blue)
2. Wire 1 Neutral to other light controlled by the same switch
2. Wire 2 Neutral loop 1 (in or out)
3. Neutral loop 2 (in or out)

Live Terminals
4. Live loop 1 (in or out)
5. Live supply to switch
6. Live loop 2 (in or out)

Switched Live Terminals
7. Blue to pendant (should be brown)
8. Wire 1 Red cable live to other light controlled by the same switch
8. Wire 2 Black cable live from switch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back