Wiring a shed from the house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am new to electrics. I have just built me a new shed and want to run a permanent power supply upto it. I don't know if this is correct or not but i have been told that all i need to do is branch a wire from a socket in lets say my kitchen to a fused spur socket, and then from that fused spur socket upto my shed which is to be used to power 10 double sockets. Can anyone tell me if this correct and if not can they tell me what i will need to do the job.

Cheers Neil

Sponsored Links
Hi Neil, welcome to the forum.

I can tell you that what you describe is most certainly NOT the way to do it.

I will leave it up to the boffins in the trade to tell you the right way - just thought I'd warn you before you burn your house down or kill yourself!

:D

You *can* spur off using an FCU, but this is only a suitable solution when;

a)The ring you're spurring from is protected by an RCD
b)The circuit you're spurring from isn't already heavily loaded
c)The load in your shed will be low
and
d)Perhaps something else I've missed from the list!

You're wanting 10 double sockets, which suggests there'll be a considerable amount of load in the shed. Even if you don't intend on drawing more than 13A, with that amount of sockets there'll be the temptation to do so, and you'd likely find the supply inadequate in the future.

There are hundreds of similar topics on wiring sheds and outbuildings. Suffice to say you really need to run a dedicated circuit in armoured cabling from your consumer unit.

Yes it will have to be armored cable going to the shed. Rules and regs to depth the cable goes down etc...best to tie in with a spark on site with you doin the labouring.

Sponsored Links
Suffice to say you really need to run a dedicated circuit in armoured cabling from your consumer unit.
I'd generally advise coming off the meter tails via henley block into a switchfuse, rather than the house CU.

That way people so inclined can add RCD protection to the cable, and can more easily install a cable capable of handling almost any possible load (the assumption being that you only want to dig that trench once....)

You also need to consider whether the existing installation is TN-S or TNC-s, as you dont want to be exporting a TNC-S earth path to an outbuilding where you could be introducing a potentially dangerous potential difference to the shed installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back