wiring a system with 2 heating zones and 1 dhw zone valves

RF Lightening, here is a question for you. While (I am told) grey wire connected where it is in D H'S diagram is not an issue with boiler in question, why is it a bad idea to wire other boilers like this?

After decipering your post, I assume you're talking about feeding the grey wire from the 230V output on the boiler so you don't have a live part inside the boiler when the boiler power switch is off?

Sponsored Links
On the right track but where would you connect the grey wires? By the way, I am not a spark or a plumber:cool:

yes,if the boiler has a live feed from the isolation switch, keeping it alive and it's progrmmer and pump alive. how do i get it to speak to the junction box and the motorized valves,room stats without giving them a permanent live from the boiler.

Sponsored Links
As I have said ....... I have no issues with people being given answers to DIY work that they are allowed to do .......... what I do have issues with is the fact that I have to pay quite a lot of money to be qualified legally to do my work and have to have these qualifications before I can even try to get some work so why should someone be allowed to do this work and potentially kill themselves or somebody else ( thats why the law is there)

UNVENTED CYLINDERS SHOULD NOT BE INSTALLED BY AMATEURS OR ANYONE NOT HAVING CORRECT TRAINING!! THEY ARE POTENTIALLY BOMBS WAITING TO EXPLODE IF NOT INSTALLED CORRECTLY.....take a look on youtube at megaflows going up...litterally!!! If you can afford the megaflow...you can afford the installer! Do it properly. It also has to be noified 24 hours before work commences, bet this wasnt done??

Good answer. Have been to boilers where controls wires as per the diagram to leave the boiler 'hot' when boiler switched off. You are on your toes big fella :D

What would you do if the programmer was two channel, and control was a Y plan? :)

Would you use Y plan for a multi heating zone system though? You can still use a 2 channel or even a 1 channel programmer and have as many zones as you desire. Would obviously need to be an s plan though ;)

Would you use Y plan for a multi heating zone system though? You can still use a 2 channel or even a 1 channel programmer and have as many zones as you desire. Would obviously need to be an s plan though ;)

This has to be the most stupid thread ever, is there a nomination page. :LOL:

An unvented must be notified 24hrs prior to the install. Anyone like to own up to actually doing that, including the experts. In fact anyone like to own up to actually notifying the install, when it's not part of major works.

It seems to have slipped past the radar but just for the record the OP has installed an S plan Plus. :eek:

FYI, every unvented install I've ever done has been notified before work commenced! It's how you do things PROPERLY and by the book, also covers your back!! It's a basic rule, end of. If you are not even notifying then you are not doing it right. Funny how building control were involved heavily on the last job and insisted that everything was done this way? I suggest you go back to your notes doitall, if you have any. I was discussing the point, not creating a chance for you to get on your box and be rude! Chill winston! Lol

And just where was I rude. :rolleyes: Of course it would be normal to go the abuse road when you loose an argument.

I asked the question how many actually notify, before and after, or either for that matter, I'm willing to bet very few.

And just for DrPlumb, whoever the hell he is, I don't work and haven't done for some time.

I didn't say you we're rude, however, undermining someone could be considered that. I was merely commenting on your attitude. As for who the hell I am, is none of your business but, I'm someone who is qualified in this field as well as many others and actually currently work on these systems. I didn't 'loose' the argument as you put it, nor did I go down the abuse road, I merely stated the correct methods used....maybe it's a good job you don't work anymore! Lol. That's all I'm saying on the subject, this isn't sorting the problem. On the subject of wiring the system, if you need to ask how, you need a sparx ;)

I didn't say you we're rude, however, undermining someone could be considered that. I was merely commenting on your attitude. As for who the hell I am, is none of your business but, I'm someone who is qualified in this field as well as many others and actually currently work on these systems. I didn't 'loose' the argument as you put it, nor did I go down the abuse road, I merely stated the correct methods used....maybe it's a good job you don't work anymore! Lol. That's all I'm saying on the subject, this isn't sorting the problem. On the subject of wiring the system, if you need to ask how, you need a sparx ;)

Which goes back to what I originally said ........... if you need to ask how to wire something like a heating system then get a sparks to do it
Yes ........... I can wire them and they are quite easy but this is most prob down to the guy that I served my time with explaining things to me in a simple manner ... He thought I and every other apprentice was simple .......... But we never wire them and always get the same sparks thats done them for years for us ........ Hes neater than us and carrys trunking sleeving and anything else need on his van ....... we are heating engineers and there is only so much space inside a van

On the subject of Unvented cylinders ....... we notify every single one we fit and also notify boilers, fires and even hobs
Have never notified before fitting one as there is no way to do it on line and Im f*cked if Im going to spend ages on the phone to building control
Your also meant to notify vented cylinders but nobody seems to knopw how to or even care

I know more sparks that can't wire boilers than I do RGI's. The important thing with any system is knowing how it is intended to work, and how a sparky is expected to know that perhaps someone could enlighten me.

Would be interesting if DrPlumb, could provide some proof on how many unvented cylinders have exploded in this Country.

I think the answer is 0, none, zero, Not ever. :rolleyes:

I know more sparks that can't wire boilers than I do RGI's. The important thing with any system is knowing how it is intended to work, and how a sparky is expected to know that perhaps someone could enlighten me.

Would be interesting if DrPlumb, could provide some proof on how many unvented cylinders have exploded in this Country.

I think the answer is 0, none, zero, Not ever. :rolleyes:

A good sparks will be briefed on what we what the system to do and wire it according to our design/instructions .... yes some sparks struggle with wiring boilers but this is Plumbing & central heating ... go over to there part of the forum and ask the question and leave us alone
The reason that no cylinders have exploded in this country is due to the fact they come with built in safety valves that are factory fitted ... I wonder how many have dumped water in the house due to incorrect fitting but nobody does any reporting about it as they know its been fitted unregistered!!
Before you ask questions ....... think about the reasons why these cylinders are so safe .... perhaps you should find a job and spend less time pontificating ........ thank the Good Lord you cant access the CC room...... Please dont tell me you can??

I can ;)

UNVENTED CYLINDERS SHOULD NOT BE INSTALLED BY AMATEURS OR ANYONE NOT HAVING CORRECT TRAINING!! THEY ARE POTENTIALLY BOMBS WAITING TO EXPLODE IF NOT INSTALLED CORRECTLY.....take a look on youtube at megaflows going up...litterally

So if there's hundreds maybe thousands of DIY installed unvented cylinders, is the above quote scaremongering or what.

Of course they should be installed by fully trained operatives, that is not the point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back