wiring a system with 2 heating zones and 1 dhw zone valves

Sponsored Links
CAN what .............. Find a job ;)

You wouldn't believe how much work I turn down, in fact I pass a lot of it on to the CC members, if, I think they can/will do a good job.

As for me working, I don't do or need too.

Ps, I think this thread is slightly off Topic

good drawing but couple of flaws (in my book anyway).
You can thank Honeywell for that. It's their standard wiring diagram.

First is there is no cylinderstat strapped to the UV cylinder, second is position of grey wire to MVs
The diagram was general, not specific to UV cylinders with temperature sensors.

What's wrong with the grey wires? They always connect to a permanent live.

DH wrote

Not always. It is OK on systems that do not have switched live like old back boilers. You that on a modern boiler that is looking for condition on SL, boiler will still be live if internal fuse blown. In other cases do that to a boiler you will kill the electronics as boiler might be looking for voltage less than 240v

In defence of Doitall. Sherbert, perhaps you are unaware of who this gent is. I have met him a few times, spoken with at other times and saught guidance from his learned self. You choose to critise a gent that should be walking with a halo round his head when it comes to plumbing knowledge. If I knew what he has forgotten, I would consider myself lucky. Might be an idea to back off.

Doitall, Y plan was a branch discussion, not related to UV installation. Last time I spoke with BC folk, I was told they could not care less wether a UV cylinder got notified or not, BUT if there was an injury or a fatality, the installer would be strung up with a rope round his gonads. :D

Sponsored Links
DH wrote
Not always. It is OK on systems that do not have switched live like old back boilers. You that on a modern boiler that is looking for condition on SL, boiler will still be live if internal fuse blown. In other cases do that to a boiler you will kill the electronics as boiler might be looking for voltage less than 240v
Point taken; I was generalizing too much. If the boiler has low/no volt switching the greys would be taken to an unused terminal in the WC, which would connect to one of the boiler no/low volt terminals. The oranges would then connect to the boiler's other no/low volt terminal.

Doitall, Y plan was a branch discussion, not related to UV installation. Last time I spoke with BC folk, I was told they could not care less whether a UV cylinder got notified or not, BUT if there was an injury or a fatality, the installer would be strung up with a rope round his gonads. :D

Thanks DP, I was trying to work out how Y plan got into this thread.

so what exactly is your point then knowitall...oops sorry, doitall i mean?? seems you have digressed somewhat??

No, its not scaremongery at all....installed incorrectly, they can explode, thats the truth, which is why they are only to be installed by registered installers....do you have this ticket i wonder??

refering to how many explode....who knows?? I wasnt planning on getting into it that deep when the issue here was wiring a multi zone system lol....I am also not saying that UV is unsafe, far from it...I am very pro UV systems and install them all the time.

OK, to save further arguments....lets just agree that if fitted incorrectly, UV cylinders can be dangerous?? say for instance...the discharge pipework is incorrect and could spray boiling hot water over somebody??

Just for a laugh....saw one last year where the discharge pipework had been terminated into a condense pump!! Obviously not installed by a registered installer...let alone a competent person :confused:

Yes, it is a shame Dr Plumb has little or no idea about who he is calling out :LOL:

Perhaps when he has taken part in the forum a little longer he will look a little less silly. ;)

DrPlumb, you still do not get it do you, Doitall is a forum name. This guy could give you a thrashing when it comes to plumbing. And what kind of name is DrPlumb anyway. If Doitall was of similar mindset with forum names, he would call himself GodofPlumbing or some such since he is a masterplumber anyway:cool:

of on a tangent here ............ anyone know how to notify vented cylinders

I had to join the corgi plumbing scheme back in the day as they went to a full heating system with a vented cylinder and would not sign us of as we had fitted a cylinder ............ seem to remember cost me £400 (i think) so I could register one poxy cylinder ......... but on a postive note was able to self certify soils on a couple of sites that we did!! ........ was amazed that all passed 1st time but not as amazed as the Building Inspector when he got handed all the certs from corgi

Is there away to notify them??

...do you have this ticket i wonder??

Yes thanks have you

OK, to save further arguments....lets just agree that if fitted incorrectly,

can't be many not fitted correctly then

Just for a laugh....saw one last year where the discharge pipework had been terminated into a condense pump!! Obviously not installed by a registered installer...let alone a competent person :confused:

There's a condensate pump designed to take the Discharge if I remember.

We do ours (when we feel like it [sic]) through Gas Safe.

Otherwise get the customer to do it through their LBA

Thank you

just been onto the website and there it is ......... my stupid fault for allways using the GC number in and bypassing the work catergory bit

Just got to find a way to let me register soils now!!

Went to see a pair installed in a cellar last week - both of them joined together and discharging into a SaniShower thingy - been like it for 8 years.

Overflow outlet too :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back