Wiring a timer fan on a non timer circuit

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi all. I bought a timed manyrose extractor fan for the bathroom but i just realised the wiring isnt for a timed extractor! Ive read in places that i can just connect the neutral to neutral, live to one of the lives and then jump from this live to the other live and it will work. I did that and its not working. Any ideas?
See pics attach.
I've noticed there is no voltage difference across the terminals for the motor. I would have expected 230 here. Also the voltage diff from neutral to each of the two motor terminals is 230. Again i would have expected one to be 0 and one to be 230

Note that I'm trying to trouble shoot off a plug just in case your wondering why its on the floor.

Attachments

• 1605389457304763965667301545691.jpg
    1605389457304763965667301545691.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,047
Sponsored Links
Wait for someone to clarify but i think, if its a mains voltage fan, you can bin that pcb and put the two wires direct onto the motor pair using connecters.
That bare wire link is not very safe :)

Ive read in places that i can just connect the neutral to neutral, live to one of the lives and then jump from this live to the other live and it will work.

Correct.

I did that and its not working. Any ideas?
See pics attach.

Are you sure the connections are correct? I can’t see the labels for two of the terminals.

I've noticed there is no voltage difference across the terminals for the motor. I would have expected 230 here. Also the voltage diff from neutral to each of the two motor terminals is 230. Again i would have expected one to be 0 and one to be 230

Are you measuring AC volts?

We can’t see those terminals in your photo.

I had a similar timer board in a fan which died (something burned out) and I just removed the board and connected the input directly to the motor. Of course this relies on the board ONLY being a timer and not doing anything else.

Sponsored Links
Correct.

Are you sure the connections are correct? I can’t see the labels for two of the terminals.

Are you measuring AC volts?

We can’t see those terminals in your photo.

I had a similar timer board in a fan which died (something burned out) and I just removed the board and connected the input directly to the motor. Of course this relies on the board ONLY being a timer and not doing anything else.
Yes im measuring AC

Wait for someone to clarify but i think, if its a mains voltage fan, you can bin that pcb and put the two wires direct onto the motor pair using connecters.
Ordinarily I'd agree with you but on this occassion I believe its at the same potential as that 22KΩ resistor.

I did try this earlier and it works. Wasn't too sure if it was a safe thing to do

I did try this earlier and it works. Wasn't too sure if it was a safe thing to do

When you buy a non timer fan thats what it initially looks like inside, just a pair of connecters direct to the motor leads.
Sunray above seems concerned about the function of the 22K resister, lets see what he has to say.
Though id guess the same motor is used in both Timed and Non Timed fans, who knows.

Did you try turning up the Time adjusting wheel on the PCB, sometimes the motor dont kick in straight away and has a bit of a delay.
Anyway if its a new fan, as you say it should run linked out, as you trick the fan into thinking the light switch is on, once you cut the power it will stop the same as if the light was switched off.
You dont need the light trigger feed, as you know for just plain On/Off function

When you buy a non timer fan thats what it initially looks like inside, just a pair of connecters direct to the motor leads.
Sunray above seems concerned about the function of the 22K resister, lets see what he has to say.
Though id guess the same motor is used in both Timed and Non Timed fans, who knows.

Did you try turning up the Time adjusting wheel on the PCB, sometimes the motor dont kick in straight away and has a bit of a delay.
Anyway if its a new fan, as you say it should run linked out, as you trick the fan into thinking the light switch is on, once you cut the power it will stop the same as if the light was switched off.
You dont need the light trigger feed, as you know for just plain On/Off function

I did try adjusting the timer and nothing happened. The more i think of it the more I'd like to remove the pcb altogether, if its safe to do so of course. I noticed that large resistor getting very hot when i turned power on and i dont like the thoughts of it wasting energy for no reason. But I'll wait to see what concerns Sunray has.

Barry

Rocky was concerned about the touch safety of the bare wire link you placed between L & SL, I was only commenting that it was likely to be directly connected to the exposed wire of the resistor and therefore no more of a hazzard than as manufactured.

In my experience most [but not all] of this sort of fan mains powered unit uses a 230V motor and as Rocky says there is usually no circuit board in a basic fan, just a connector block and chances are doing away with the board is all you need to do.

I will however caution that one unit I've encountered had a 24V ac motor which seems to work properly when wired directly to the mains but of course didn't work for very long.

Rocky was concerned about the touch safety of the bare wire link you placed between L & SL, I was only commenting that it was likely to be directly connected to the exposed wire of the resistor and therefore no more of a hazzard than as manufactured.
I see, i thought you was saying its in series with the motor and reducing the voltage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back