Wiring advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently moved house and I am just about to put up a partion for a new utility area in our garage. I was having a look at the electric sockets today and trying to work out if any new ones are required and I am a bit puzzled with the setup.

Below is a very simple diagram of what I have found, basically the red socket is a 13amp fused spur which has an alarm panel connected to it and then goes onto a double socket (blue). Before looked closely today I assumed that the fused spur was just that; a spur from the socket below it in the diagram, and the blue socket was a spur from the next room. I certainly didn't expect the red and blue sockets to be connected to each other.

Does this look \ sound correct or should the connection between these two sockets be removed?

image.jpg

I hope that makes sense, if anyone can offer advice I would appreciate it (and look a bit less stupid when I ask the electrician to do any work!).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
From the information given, it's impossible to tell.

If the circuit is a radial, then it's fine. If it's a ring final and both points are on the ring, it's also fine.

If however, they are both spurred from the ring, which from your diagram it doesn't look like they are, it would need amending.

If you're not sure just get the electrician to take a look, certainly no harm in it

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick replies!

I assumed (probably wrongly) that this was a ring and the only time I've ever seen a socket with 3 cables coming out is if one was going to a spur?

Yea seems I've misread the diagram as well as mistyping my original reply.

New answer then, if it's a radial, it's ok. If your diagram is correct (and it is a ring) then it's not ok and needs investigating.

That being said, if the third cable (the middle line to 'next room') from that socket only goes to one further point, you're all good

Hi, I've done a bit of investigation today and I'm pretty certain it is a radial. Referring back to the diagram from the socket highlighted in blue there are 2 further sockets connected to it. I've not yet been able to confirm where the other 2 cables go.

Is the practice of branching off a circuit like that acceptable? And is there a limit to how many sockets can be added?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back