Wiring An Outdoor Light - Two Sets of Wires?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a basic outdoor light. The trouble is when I removed the old light (which I never installed) it has two sets of live, neutral and earth wires. I am pretty sure both sets aren't going to go in the lights terminal block. The switch indoors for the light is just a basic on/off switch.

What do I do?

Sponsored Links
Have you disconnected them without noting their position?
If not, they must be connected the same as they are now.

It depends what the cables do.

One could be supply and one to the switch, or
one could be from the switch and the other to another light.

Can you see where the cables go?

Post some pictures.

You need to replicate exactly the circuit you found on the old one at least from an electrical point of view. If this requires choc blocks or Wago connectors then that's what you need to provide.

Thanks for the quick reply! I have disconnected them without noting the position and made safe. Wrapped in insulation tape and put in choc box (which I then wrapped in tape.. I will take a few photos tomorrow of the old light, connectors and wiring. etc

Sponsored Links
Need a picture of the wires that went into the old light fitting and another of the wires inside the switch that operates that light. Don't disconnect the wires in the switch and make sure you safely isolate before removing accessories.

This is probably how you need to wire it.

You need four terminals in the lamp housing.
Two to the lamp,
One to join Live from supply to the Live to the switch
One to connect the Earths together and to the housing if the lamp has to be Earthed.

0x50.jpg

Old light, new light, two point terminal connector (which live wires were connected to) and photo of housing.

Those wires don't look like they will fit into the light base.

I am not 100% sure the light switch for it is actually off. How can I check? We might have some rain later today, even though the wires are insulated and in a choc box( though they are for indoor use only.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cZPCauAT3JfhjjgN8

Assuming the nearest to camera switch is the light switch in question then it would appear that Bernard's diagram is correct, BUT you should test that the wires are as indicated.

If this is the case then the light switch will NOT isolate the supply from the light position.
You will have to switch of the supply at the consumer unit.

You will need at least a multimeter to determine this.
If you don't have one then you cannot safely and properly do electrical work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back