Possible to wire a new light into double switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to get an outdoor light installed and I've already switched out the switch to a double switch but I'm not actually certain I can just connect the new light to the switch now... Basically the other switch is connected to a two way kitchen light and the other side is not connected to anything. Will I even be able to power the outdoor light from this too? Will get an electrician in to do the job but wanted to make sure I'm not wasting my time first.

Attached a photo of the existing wires

Attachments

• IMG_20200303_184638.jpg
    IMG_20200303_184638.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 342
Sponsored Links
No. Not possible. No neutral present.

Either you need a new cable from the existing light to switch and a cable from switch to the new light,

OR

a new cable from existing light to new light and a cable from new light to switch.

No. Not possible. No neutral present.

Either you need a new cable from the existing light to switch and a cable from switch to the new light,

OR

a new cable from existing light to new light and a cable from new light to switch.

Could I possible spur from a mains socket/fuse switch instead of a light?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back