Wiring an outside light...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Ive got a wall lantern for outside my front door. I also bought a fused switch.
I thought it would be easy peasy to install, but well I'm stuck!!

I have a switch at the bottom of my halll (switched live, no neutral), and I was thinking of running the live to my new fused switch, as well as running the neutral from the ceiling rose to the new switch.
I'd be running the neutral from the rose, down the conduit towards the existing switch, where I'll mount my new switch.

Is this safe? Or am I doing a right Bodge It yourself..??

Any help/tips muchly appreciated

Cheers

Sponsored Links
A fused switch suggests you were going to take the supply from a ring main (socket circuit) and indeed this is sometimes the easier option.

Connect a 2.5mm cable to the nearest socket (provided it is not already a spur), take that cable to the fused switch with a 3A fuse in it. Then take a 1.0mm cable to the new light.

Your way seems a bit of a bodge. If you are going to be tapping into the ceiling rose, then why not just take live neutral and earth from it and use a piece of 1.0mm T+E? Easier than conduit and single core etc. And you wont need the fused switch then, a normal light switch will suffice.

nearest socket is on my top landing. Walls are plaster/lathe stuff.
Theres plenty of sockets in my attic room (conversion). Unsure which are spurs though.
The conduit for the downstairs switch is up there, so I thought I'd just run new cable down inside the conduit next to the other cables to the switch...
Maybe I should get a sparky in just to be safe, dont fancy setting the loft on fire for a poxy 7 quid light :)

Sponsored Links
if you are that unsure, yes get an electrician, but do get several quotes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back