Wiring ceiling fan to current switch loop?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first post here!

I've just got a Create Windcalm DC fan which is a fan/light unit and only has a live, neutral and earth wire as an input (image 1).

I want to wire this to an existing switch loop ceiling position (image 2), but would like some advice as to how to wire the current wires as there are not enough inputs on the new unit.

Just to add, the light switch will be permanently on after install as this is a wifi-controlled fan.

Has anyone got any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Windcalm DC Fan unit:

IMG_1011 Medium.jpeg
IMG_1010 Medium.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
upload_2022-4-25_15-53-38.png

The three L wires should be connected together in a terminal block and nowhere else.
The two N wires and the Neutral from the fan ( White ) should connected together and nowhere else
The SW wire ( with the sleeve ) should be connected to the Live from the fan ( black )
All the Earth wires must be joined together.

Note the instruction about the unit being fitted the structure of the building which means fitting to a joist and NOT just to plaster board. The twisting forces when the fan starts to rotate will exert horizontal forces on the fixing and these can over time loosen the fixings in the plasterboard. The fan then drops from the ceiling with the blades rotating. Very damaging to things or people underneath the fan.

If it was me installing this fan I would first fit a ceiling rose to act as a ready made terminal box and to cover the hole in the ceiling.
From the ceiling rose I would then use a length of flex from the ceiling rose to the fan unit fitted to a nearby joist/

images

Especially ensuring it's screwed into a joist or provide some other structural support if necessary.
These things truly do make a mess when they fall, much more than a light fitting does.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back