wiring center - Boiler - Controls

Reaction score
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Hi, I have a heat only boiler for central heating only, not installed or commissioned yet. I am trying to understand electrics; e.g I got a wiring center (pre wired) for Y plan system. At this stage I only want to control Central heating through programmer and thermostat (no hot water).

The programmer is drayton LP822 (dual channel) and and old dial type thermostat. I will be using the one channel for central heating only.

Its a very basic system for most of you but I haven't done it before so I just want to make sure that I don't burn or damage any components or boiler's PCB.

Attached are two pictures of boiler PCB with a capacitor connected to boiler PCB, I am not sure what is the purpose of the capacitor and does it needs to be wired in wiring center? In the wiring center there was a black wire which wasn't connected to any terminal but taped and tucked separately inside, could it be that is coming from this capacitor? I have made connections from boiler's N,L,E to the wiring center, have also wired the external pump to the wiring center under relevant terminals Terminal 12 and 13 marked as boiler and pump terminal respectively. Boiler documentation says no pump over run required.(see attached)

I have run a two core wire (low voltage) from wiring center to Lounge where I want to install programmer and thermostat. I believe this cable will make call for heat via thermostat or programmer, and power (N,L,E connections) can be taken from home wiring? Correct or do I have to run N,L,E connections all the way from wiring center to the programmer?

Thanks for any help or guidance in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_6647.JPG
    IMG_6647.JPG
    218.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6648.JPG
    IMG_6648.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 49
  • no pump over run.png
    no pump over run.png
    242.9 KB · Views: 52
Sponsored Links
This seems an odd way of doing things. You have a y plan, but want to downgrade from a twin channel to a single?

I know, you are right but I have separate HW arrangement via direct source so not using it with CH.

I want to use simple programmer and thermostat to switch heating on via programmer and thermostat.

I have made connections in the attached wiring circuit for boiler and pump, how do I wire programmer and thermostat? (both of them will be in lounge)

Attachments

• P1040044.png
    P1040044.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Well, I think you’re programmer will need a L, N and switch, so more than 2 core, and depending on which thermostat (wireless or wired) will also depend on cores.

Sponsored Links
The capacitor is an interference suppressor (a resistor and capacitor in series), normally used across switch contacts. Unrelated to any controls wiring.
Not clear what it's connected to in the boiler, the boiler instructions should have details.

No new system should be using Y plan.
If you are only using the boiler for heating, then you don't need any plan or any motorised valves- it's just a case of the boiler and pump are switched on when heat is required.

Programmer has L,N,E permanent supply.
Boiler may require permanent power, in which case L,N,E to that as well. If not then just N&E permanently connected.
Pump has N&E permanently connected.
The control is 1x switched L output from the programmer to the thermostat, and from the thermostat to the boiler L input and pump L.
That is all.

CBW - Thermostat is an old school analogue one but I have put a 3 core cable from lounge to the boiler; in case I want to upgrade to a fancy Thermostat/Controls in future.
If you are only using the boiler for heating, then you don't need any plan or any motorised valves- it's just a case of the boiler and pump are switched on when heat is required.
Flameport - Yes and Thanks for explaining it in simple terms to me. Much appreciated.

Attachments

• RC Y plan capacitor.pdf
    285.5 KB · Views: 88
I see @desktop987456 that you are located somewhere in the USA, so if you are planning to install equipment designed for the UK you will need to make sure that it is suitable for the gas supply and voltage in the US.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back