Wiring chandelier

ISO have defined line neutral and live, low voltage and extra low voltage, and many more. However much I think 230 volt AC should not be called low voltage, or the line should be called live, it is not down to me, it is down to the international standards organisation.

Might even have a live centre……. ;)
I think this was trying to say I had misspelt live, in this country every plug and socket-outlet shall be of the non-reversible type, but in other countries that is not the case, so in the UK in circuits of a TN or TT system. except for E14 and E27 lampholders complying with BS EN 60238, the outer contact of every Edison screw or single centre bayonet cap type lampholder shall be connected to the neutral conductor. This regulation also applies to track mounted systems.

So yes lamp holder may be to BS EN 60238, it seems they are used in Europe so polarity does not matter, not sure how they work?

Sponsored Links
It does not matter what you look at, we have ISO, be it exposure on a camera, a tank to carry liquids, we have ISO everywhere one looks, of course every DIYer has heard of ISO.

I disagree. It's fundamentally inaccurate and actually contradicts the correct definition of "live".
Sadly the official definition contradicts the vast majority of the general publics understanding of "live".
Whether it's right or wrong we need to offer advice that the DIYer understands and gives them a safe solution to their question.
Perhaps it's time to abandon the current terms and move over to 'Hot' & ' Cold' as other countries seem to understand.

Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
To be sure you will need a test meter or multimeter. I don’t suppose you have one?

My brother will have but trying to get him to do anything is a waiting game - I've been waiting 2 and a half years on him replacing my security light.

I'm thinking that the chandelier will go back in the box and I'll buy a light shade :p

Whilst I'm willing to try and turn my hand to anything, I do know my limitations and I don't fancy frying myself with electricity.

My brother will have but trying to get him to do anything is a waiting game
Whilst I'm willing to try and turn my hand to anything, I do know my limitations and I don't fancy frying myself with electricity.
Don't give up, electricity isn't too scary!
A simple multimeter is under £10 from Screwfix, and well worth the cost, if you are considering doing electrical work yourself.
The aim is to identify the three wires - earth should be straightforward.
The live should connect to the bottom contact of the screw lamp holder and neutral to the metal side.
You don't want these mixed up, or you may be in for a surprise if you changed a dead bulb with the power still on!
...even then, frying yourself would be unlikely if you have a modern consumer unit! :)

As you have a metal fitting then identifying the earth is the most important!
Yes, most important.
I should have qualified my 'straightforward'
-
Screenshot_20220718-134837_Chrome.jpg
follow the green/yellow wire connected here :) :

As you have a metal fitting then identifying the earth is the most important!
Yes would agree, and @RandomGrinch has pointed out where connected. Although one should get the lives the right way around, with neutral on screw thread and line centre pin, it is highly unlikely one would have a problem if wrong way around.

@ericmark sorry, it’s hot and we are going round in circles.
Yes we can identify where the earth conductor attaches to the metal chandelier.
The task is to discover which of the three wires in the PVC final connecting cable is the earth one.
Can you tell? Please reveal how it’s done.

Don't give up, electricity isn't too scary!
A simple multimeter is under £10 from Screwfix, and well worth the cost, if you are considering doing electrical work yourself.
The aim is to identify the three wires - earth should be straightforward.
The live should connect to the bottom contact of the screw lamp holder and neutral to the metal side.
You don't want these mixed up, or you may be in for a surprise if you changed a dead bulb with the power still on!
...even then, frying yourself would be unlikely if you have a modern consumer unit! :)

I'm not scared of it as such, but I do have a healthy respect lol. If I know exactly what I'm doing, I have no problem doing it, but I'm not sure what I'm doing with this light fitting, so I'll not tinker.

I might well get a multimeter so I can at least replace my security light so I don't spend another winter groping about in the dark.

I might well get a multimeter so I can at least replace my security light so I don't spend another winter groping about in the dark.
I’m guessing you already have a light, but a Solar powered one could work?

I’m guessing you already have a light, but a Solar powered one could work?

The wiring is all there - it was a separate light and PIR and the PIR blew up. I've no idea which circuit it's on to turn the power off to it plus it's a wee bit high for me to reach, but I think 2.5 years is long enough to wait, so I'll give it a go - once I get a test meter

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back