Wiring chandelier

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm repurposing a chandelier acquired from my mother and of course, she can't find the fitting instructions.
There are three wires on the chandelier - all of them clear.
Will there be a particular order that they connect up to ceiling wiring or does it not really matter

Sponsored Links
Look closer, there may be a thin coloured line running through each one.

If not, you will need a continuity tester/multimeter...

In answer to your other question - IT DOES MATTER WHICH WAY YOU WIRE THIS, so please check with us or a qualified electrician FIRST.

Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
1658089089336.png
1658089121704.png

Don't worry, I won't be plugging myself into the National Grid. I don't see any coloured lines but I'll look again

One appears to have green running through, so perhaps that’s the earth? Any information from the writing? Is there a make/model sticker anywhere?

Hindsight is wonderful, but you could have taken a photo/made a note of the wiring before it was removed.

My mum got it taken down nearly two years ago and it's been sitting in a box since then and we never thought of asking the spark to take a picture. It's Litecraft and this is the info on it

1658106063439.png

• Thanks
The screw E14 bulb must have line centre and neutral outer in the UK, but easy enough with a meter or other means of belling out to work out which is connected to centre and which is connected to outer, a two minute job, but can't be done with pictures.

It will be a live centre which ever way around it is wired, both line (also some times call the phase) and the neutral are both considered as live wires.

A DIYer with limited experience / knowledge of terminology would be confused to hear Neutral is a live conductor,

Hence when giving advice to the average DIY it better to use the pair Live and Neutral than to use the pair Line and Neutral and declaring both to be live conductors

A DIYer with limited experience / knowledge of terminology would be confused to hear Neutral is a live conductor,

Hence when giving advice to the average DIY it better to use the pair Live and Neutral than to use the pair Line and Neutral and declaring both to be live conductors
I agree. This forum does have (should have) a large DIY content.

I disagree. It's fundamentally inaccurate and actually contradicts the correct definition of "live".

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back