Wiring costs for 5 bed, 2 bath, 4 floor, 4500sq ft house?

Thank you very much for that info and advice. I had been advised to work on £100 per socket/switch/spur/ £75 per ceiling light and £55 per recessed spot excluding light fittings and consumer units but including sockets.

On Chri5's guesstimate of socket/light points that would add up to £19500 not his £30k so I will assume a new working guesstimate of plus 50%. I need a rough idea so's as not to waste folks time coming out estimating when there may be no chance of the numbers adding up in the first place.

Sponsored Links
On a large house you may have issues with voltage drops on far point radials and rings so A decent amount of effort needs to be applied to make sure cable size is suitable for circuit use and demand.

Grade listed buildings do have issues, fabric bash and crash goes out the window and LBC / conservation peeps may well be obstructive when comparing your potential project with say a new build 20 room house.
Simple things such as taking up floors might not be possible- the floor is part of the listed, as will be the plaster, cornice, panelling etc..

If the property is in the inner London area then cost will be based on travel in time, congestion charges, parking and then the actual work.

A 20 room house purchaser in central London will demand:-

Top security and CCTV systems
Access control
Off site CCTV storage
Data and voice feed to all reception rooms and areas
Ambient lighting systems
Full in house AV distribution
A cinema room
Kitchens for casual use and a professional staff based kitchen

Overall load of electrical service will be well in excess of the DNO 1P 100a limit and is likely to require 3P boards and street to house upgrades.

I'd suggest you go with a minimum budget for electrics at £22-£25k (my last full rewire with voice, data, AV and full electrics for a 5 bed house was £5k labour and £2k materials)- but did include full route breaking and full repair.

Yours is likely to have routes planned and worked by builders and repaired by plasterers.

Add on the voice, data, Av, CCTV, security and access control which could range from a modest £5k to £50K++++

as a rule of thumb i charge £25-£30 per item plus £450 for additionals.

A washing machine counts as 2 items (1 socket & 1 switch)

The add on price varies, but the item price is around the mark given.

Could you please explain the "£450 for additionals"...I'm intrigued !

Sponsored Links
Could you please explain the "£450 for additionals"...I'm intrigued !
New Consumer Unit
Main Equipotential Bonding
Supplementary Bonding
Making good?
Fitting fancy customer supplied light fittings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back