Cost to rewire small 2 bed mid terrace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of purchasing a very small 2 bed mid-terrace pre-1900 property that needs a lot of work. The electrics will need entirely redoing. I will not be moving into the property for a couple of months whilst all the renovation work takes place. Most of the rooms will be getting replastered, and all rooms are down to just floorboards now.

I do not know exactly what's required, but along the lines of: 25 double sockets, wired smoke/heat detectors, down lighters in the kitchen, lights for the other rooms (2 bed, bathroom, living, dining, hall, landing), etc...

I'm not yet at a point where i can get an electrician to look and quote, hence asking here. This is in Wales.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

Impossible to tell. So many variables.

So lets say about the same as a week's holiday. Could be in Pontins, could be in the Seychelles.

You will need to get a spark (3 would be better) to survey and give you a figure to work off.

There's other things to add to just sockets and lights: central heating controls, TV, phone.

Someone here has a whole big list (BAS?)
I expect they will be along later.........

Here you go...
The items on the list below won't all apply to you, but they are worth thinking about:

• Upstairs sockets
  • Downstairs sockets
  • Kitchen sockets
  • Radial for appliances
  • Cooker circuit
  • Non-RCD circuit for F/F
  • Non-RCD circuit for CH boiler
  • Dedicated circuit for hifi
  • Dedicated circuit for IT equipment
  • Upstairs lights
  • Downstairs lights
  • Immersion heater
  • Loft lights
  • Shower
  • Bathroom circuit
  • Alarm
  • Supply for outside lights
  • Supply for garden electrics
  • Supply for shed/garage
Plus any peculiarities brought about by your house layout & construction – e.g. in mine because of solid floors and where the rings run, I have a radial just for a socket in the hall, the doorbell and the porch lights.

Plus a few spares on RCD & non-RCD sides for expansion beyond that for future unforeseen needs.

Thank you.

I'm really just after a vague idea so i can put together a list of costs for the renovation work so i have something to go by. As i cannot get people in to quote when i've not even exchanged on the property.

I'm thinking £2.5k would be in the right area. I can't imagine somewhere between £2k and £3k would be far off for a normal setup in a small 2 bed terrace would it?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back