Rewire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How much mess does a full rewire create?

Do they have to rip up wooden floors or is there a way round that?

I live in a mid terraced 1900 house where some of the work is newish and some is older.

How long do they normaly take?

Our house is 2 living rooms 1 kitchen diner and 2 bedrooms.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
How much mess does a full rewire create?

It depends, do you class 'mess' as trunking stuck to the wall? If so then get the cables chased in, that is a very very messy job but ultimately leaves a neater finish.

Do they have to rip up wooden floors or is there a way round that?

I live in a mid terraced 1900 house where some of the work is newish and some is older.

You can have all the cables concealed in trunking on the walls/conduit in the walls if you don't want to touch the floor.

How long do they normaly take?

Our house is 2 living rooms 1 kitchen diner and 2 bedrooms.

It depends on:

Whether you have the cables chased in or not
Whether you have laminate flooring/ceramic tiles on the floors.
Whether the ground floor is concrete or a floating floor.
How many appliances need wiring (sockets, lights, showers, cookers etc.).
What state the bonding/earthing is in.
How many guys are working on it.

Could be 2-5 days - more if chasing in is required or you have a particularly difficult installation.

Hope that is of some help.
Davy

you missed the bit about if chased, how tough the wall is, and waht they chase with .

angle grinder = good fun, so much mess its unbelievable

Sponsored Links
con1_uk said:
F00k the rewire then......... :eek:

Well wouldn't you rather have a house to make a mess of? Because I don't think you'll care about some dust and a bit of disruption when you house burns down or someone gets killed...

BTW, I'm making an assumption that your installation actually NEEDS the rewire. get a PIR done and that will tell you if you have any problems. You might not need a rewire, and could get away with a few simple alterations.

breezer said:
you missed the bit about if chased, how tough the wall is, and waht they chase with .

angle grinder = good fun, so much mess its unbelievable

Last time I used a grinder for chasing walls I found brick dust between my toes. I was wearing two pairs of socks and my rigger boots at the time :eek:

I made sooo much dust you couldn't even see across the room :LOL:

...and I got so much dust I couldn't see my pencil line, and found afterwards that I'd cut along a join in the wallpaper that looked like a line :oops:

Club hammer and bolster is slower but a lot less messy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back