Re-wiring costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I am getting my house re-wired. The house is 3 bed semi with 2 receptions and one bathroom and a kitchen.

The house has old style wiring, i mean there in only one socket per room and that is located in the skirting board level.

We are not getting the kitchen done as we plan to extend the ground floor later next year and will need to move the kitchen.

I have been quoted £3650 including all material and labour (including moving the meter and new consumer unit).

The guys is not NICEIC registered but will arrange the certificate in the quoted above.

What do you guys think ?

Tomkin :)

Sponsored Links
Thing is that a cert should only be completed on works done by the certifier.

And that doesn't appear to be the case with your quote.

Ask yourself how the certifier and Part P scheme registered person will be able to sign off that the work has been done to the current standards ?

I'm sure he can do all the testing, but how is he going to confirm that the wiring has been installed correctly unless the certifier is doing the work on site daily.

Such work needs to be notified to the LABC before it's started and the scheme provider forbid members to sign off 3rd party work.

Bump him off and get some quotes via a scheme registered electrician.

you gonna be in situ and make unreasonable demands like lights back on at night? :)

define "not NICEIC registered"...

do you mean he is not part P registered? he doesn't need to be but make sure he's going to notify the LABC and not try to get someone else to sign off his work..

I mean he is not on the list here, http://www.competentperson.co.uk/

I got my boiler done from him (he is corgi registered) about 2 years ago. He did a nce job and did charge me reasonably.

I am not sure he is latest Part P registered or not. But i did ask him about LABC and he said, they will be notified.

Is it OK as long as i get the certificate, and what do you guys think of the costs he quoted me ?

Sponsored Links
I don't think corgi do full scope, but the corgi engineers are define scope which means they can work on the electrical circuits on boilers/central heating systems.
But that does not allow them to do a full re-wire under that scope even if they are part p qualified (what ever that is?)
Can't comment on price, without a good look.
I'd suggest you get a few quotes!

don't corgi do a part p scheme? i'm sure i read it somewhere.. or maybe i have my wires crossed..

It's not a problem not being registered with a scheme for Part P notifications, however if you aren't you have to pay your local building control a fee prior to starting the job, for a job of this size you would have to pay them ITRO of £200 to £300 and possibly even more; it costs me (I'm NICEIC registered) about £10 per job once you factor in the membership and notification fees... the work is also covered by an insurance backed warranty!!

As for the quote you have (£3650) for 2 reception rooms, 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, hall, stairs and landing ----- without knowing the spec & finish of the accesories it's hard to know how much vale for money you are getting.....

You also say he is moving your meter,,, he is not allowed to do this as it's your suppliers property.... but if he is arranging for this to be done by your supplier and passing on the fee (which can be quite high) then you have to take this into account.

don't corgi do a part p scheme? i'm sure i read it somewhere.. or maybe i have my wires crossed..

This is copied from the Corgi website:

The CORGI Electrical Scheme is a “defined scope” scheme, covering electrical installation work that has been carried out as a consequence of other work in dwellings. The scheme is open to any business involved in defined scope electrical installation work, for example, kitchen fitters, bathroom fitters and gas installers who carry out electrical installation work in connection with or ancillary to their main work.

So (assuming he is qualified as part of the Corgi Electrical scheme) he isn't allowed to do the rewiring. He can add a spur in a kitchen to feed a central heating system that he is installing. But he cant add a new ring circuit for the new conservatory. Only work in association with his plumbing activities.

He could notify the local authority (first) and then do the work with the local authority inspecting and testing. Just like anybody can.
I strongly urge you to have this work done by a qualified full scope electrician.
Get a local one at www.competentperson.co.uk.

There are really only 3 competent persons schemes of any relevance - NAPIT, ELECSA and NICEIC.

There are 2 others for 'full scope', but the BRE Certification/ECA scheme is closed to new members ( www.partp.co.uk ) and the BSI one has so few people in it that the chances of finding someone near enough to your location is minimal.

The others such as Corgi and the oil one are only for minor insignificant works done as part of something else (fitting a spur for a new gas boiler for example).

Well the fittings will be MK make and I assume wiring will be cheapest possible Twin Earth.

Now the thing is guys, is certificate the bottom line ? Honestly, i am not going to live in the house for more than 5 years. Can I be made liable if anything happens after 5 years.

I did speak to him about moving the meter and I did have an idea that the meter may be my supplier's property. He did clearly mention that he can do it cheaper than the supplier.

Suggestions guys ?

If they are suggesting they can move the electricity meter instead of your electricity supplier, then find someone else. They cannot legally move it.

As for certificates, there are 2 which will be required.
1. An electrical installation certificate, which will contain various details including the test results for all of the circuits installed. The electrician should supply this. Without it, you have no proof that the installation was tested or is safe.
2. A certificate indicating that the installation complies with building regulations. This will either be from one of the competent persons schemes, or from your LABC if they were involved. Without this, you won't have proof that the work complies with building regs, and this will casue problems when you want to sell your house later.
If the work is not notified to LABC via one of those routes, you are breaking the law.

Whether you are going to live there for 5 years or 5 minutes makes no difference. The certificates are part of the job - they are not optional extras.

Thanks Guys for all your replies, I think I will go for his services provided he gives me 2 certificates as flameport says. I am really not bothered who signs the certificate as long as I have it.

But I will let meter where it is now. Its under the stairs, access from kitchen but let it be there, its not hurting me. I cannot even afford asking my DNO to come and give me a qoute to move the meter.

Don't want to go against the law :)

Big thanks guys, really helpful.

Thanks Guys for all your replies, I think I will go for his services provided he gives me 2 certificates as flameport says.
HE CAN'T!!

If he's registered with Corgi then his registration does not allow him to certify a complete rewire as compliant with the Building Regulations, as had been clearly explained.

Also, as his competence has only been assessed from the POV of him doing minor work associated with installing heating etc, how can you know if he is competent to issue an EIC for a rewire?

I am really not bothered who signs the certificate as long as I have it.
So the reason for you coming here and asking advice was what, exactly? To go with it if it agreed with what you'd already decided to do, and to ignore it if it didn't?

Your "certificates" may not be worth the paper they are written on - one of them in fact would definitely be a fake.

Don't want to go against the law :)
Your other comments contradict that.

7omkin wrote:

Thanks Guys for all your replies, I think I will go for his services

FFS! Have you not listened to a word that anyone on this forum has said! You asked for advice on the forum and you are just ignoring what the proffesionals on here are telling you.

Personally i think 3.5K is slightly high from the information you have given. I wouldnt stand by that as i havent seen the job but my instinct thinks its a little high.

What would really set the alarm bells ringing for me is the fact that he claims he's going to move the suppliers electricity meter- HE ISNT ALLOWED TO DO THAT!. Do yourself a favour and get some qoutes off of guys you know are reputable/recommended.

Other than that make sure you've got some apples in for his horse and somewhere he can hang his stetson when he turns up.

you're all jumping the gun a bit..

that £3650 might include the cost of notifying the LABC and getting them in to test, and it might also include the cost of getting the DNO in to move his meter..

the guy might be trying to provide a one stop service, dealing with the fiddly bits rather than saying.." yeah it'll be £3000, but you'll have to get the DNO in to move your meter, and you'll have to tell the LABC before I start.. "

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back