house re-wire

Sponsored Links
There are electricians who don't register as DIs because they don't do enough domestic work to warrant the cost.

This is not meant to start another tedious discussion about part p.
I'm pointing out that being a registered DI is one way of complying, but it's not the only way.

FWIW I'm NIC registered.

I'm one of them, commercial/industrial so don't need to enrol as a DI. Have everything else in place i.e. test equipment, insurance etc etc.

You're both right - I wasn't thinking enough about the scenario of an electrician who'd been recommended - more the generic case of any old electrician working in the domestic field who wasn't registered.

Sponsored Links
Good idea to put all wiring in conduit for ease of future changes. And if you use metal conduit it removes the need to have RCDs where you'd rather not.

Would bump the price up a lot though.... steel conduit is time consuming to install

mmm - depends a lot on the construction I guess.

I'm not talking about a full-blown conduit installation - just using it in places where it might be advantageous to not have an RCD. I can think of only a few obvious examples - lights, cooker and F/F, the first probably being the most wished-for.

If you're chasing walls and sinking metal boxes then you need a bigger chase, and a thread on one end of a straight piece of conduit to bush it into the metal box, as at the other end you only need one of those plastic inserts (e.g. Kopex) to protect the cable from chafing. So yes, more work, but would it bump the price up a lot?

If it does, or where using it wouldn't be as easy (e.g. stud partition walls), there's the option of BS8436 cable for switch drops....

IMG_4855.gif

The company I was QS for did a rewire in west london in a house that was vacated for 2 weeks and they quoted £6,200

But after extras etc it totalled £9.5k so make sure you have everything included when chasing quotes.

I would say £4.5k should be fair, check the company with the lowest quotes.
We get all are estimates signed for by the client prior to commencment of any works, this guarantees for us that the work done matches the clients request and cost that we charge. This would also work for you.

And make sure you've thought of everything, so that there are no changes - one of the first rules of project management is that change control is where you make your profit.... ;)

Good idea to put all wiring in conduit for ease of future changes. And if you use metal conduit it removes the need to have RCDs where you'd rather not.

Would bump the price up a lot though.... steel conduit is time consuming to install

I'm not sure that it would. A length of 20mm galv conduit is around a fiver so that should do 2/3 switch drops. Add a few couplers and bushes and that's it. The labour to cut and thread the tube is only a few mins so it will certainly be more cost effective than RCBO's and a better solution then RCD's for general lighting circuits.

I'm not sure that it would. A length of 20mm galv conduit is around a fiver so that should do 2/3 switch drops. Add a few couplers and bushes and that's it. The labour to cut and thread the tube is only a few mins so it will certainly be more cost effective than RCBO's and a better solution then RCD's for general lighting circuits.

No way man.

First of all, there's just carrying conduit kit- vice, threaders etc which most domestic sparks won't evan own.

then every chase has to be twice as deep, and old laughing plaster walls would be a joke, compared to neat little box chop out & fish.

Wouldn't evan contemplate it personally, RCBO's are ~£20 now or shielded cable for when RCD is undesirable.

First of all, there's just carrying conduit kit- vice, threaders etc which most domestic sparks won't evan own.
I'll bet most don't own pyro tools either, but that doesn't mean it isn't sometimes the best solution.

(RF's palms have just gone clammy, BTW....)

I'll bet most don't own pyro tools either, but that doesn't mean it isn't sometimes the best solution.

(RF's palms have just gone clammy, BTW....)

Pensdown mentioned cost effective, which is what I took issue with.

Steel conduit would of course be "best", but like pyro it loses out to cheaper but sufficient methods.

I was asked to quote for some pyro the other day, purely for aesthetic reasons, the first time anyones asked me in 5 years of trading.

I see where you and ban are coming from, I was picturing doing the whole circuit in steel conduit (that is a complete ball-ache!) suppose the only problem with doing a short drop is the deeper chase required, and the threading...because you don't want to need a bender on a domestic job... whether you could make do with a small B&D workmate, and a clamp on metalwork vice instead of the pipe vice on the bender? (btw ban... I'd thread, coupler and bush both ends, rather than rely on a plastic insert, but perhaps thats just me!)

That would be better. An insert would be faster.

And I'm not envisaging any bending being needed...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back