United Kingdom
Ok thanks for your time.

I have the following :

boiler : potterton promax HE
unvented hot water cylinder

two x 2 port zone valves
also a honeywell valve next to the cylinder
there is also a room thermostat connected

could someone point me in the direction for a wiring diagram for this or some advice, its in an airing cupboard and it appears someone has pulled at one of the wires and disconnected a couple of wires

the heating still works fine off the programmer, but no h/w with demand

its not a wire from the zone valves..

thanks

Sponsored Links
check the honeywell site or danfoss or drayton for a s plan wiring diagram.
2 port valves (22mm) are mostly 5 wire. brown (power from timer or stat),
blue (neutral), earth ,orange (switched live out) and grey (permanent live).

Be very carefull regards sytem wireing when unvented hot water cylinders are involved. :eek:

Its difficult to say for certain without tracing the wiring as anyone could have changed it..

However, typically with 2 x two port valves you may have Honeywell S-Plan wiring. If you google "S plan wiring diagram" you should find plenty of them.. or take a look at this site (not mine, just found it on Google) which may help you to identify what system/wiring you have.

Sponsored Links
with regards to the valves,do you have 2 fot the heating and one for hw?
check to se if the flow to the cylinder goes through 2 valves.

forgot to mention Both of the 2 port valves were replaced recently but on inspection all five wires on BOTH valves is tightly connected, the wire that has come loose is brown and i can only assume that when it was done he has not securely put this wire back in and a slight pull when someone has accessed the airing cupboard has caused this single wire to disconnect, so it is more than likely one of the wires that WAS connected ot the same block as a wire for one of the valves ( obviously ruling out earth and neutral straight away so that leaves the other 3 wires on both valves ) so now no h.w with a demand

the brown wire on the valve would be connected to one of the wires from the cylinder thermostat (if hw valve)

the brown wire on the valve would be connected to one of the wires from the cylinder thermostat (if hw valve)

This is EXACTLY where i was going...................brown wire is fed from a 'fail safe' source @ unvented storage unit , easy for the OP to wire this incorrectly. :eek:

the wire that has come loose is brown and i can only assume that when it was done he has not securely put this wire back in and a slight pull when someone has accessed the airing cupboard

Can you follow the brown wire (or the whole cable) and see where the cable connects to? Has the wire come loose from a 10-way connection box or somewhere else? Is the brown wire single or part of a 3/5-core cable?

Perhaps a photo of the wiring / airing cupboard may help?

the wire is from a five wire cable, two of the wires are BLACK one blue one green

I tried tracing the wire back but whoever installed it has for some reason run the wires underneath the cylinder then up so its hard to trace

theres a earth neutral two blacks and then this brown wire in this cable

Very probable the five core to programmer , the brown wire being feed to cyl stat , terminal strip would have @ least two connections @ each terminal , problem here is if some wires are 'parked up' especially so when using 28mm motor valves (white wire) , without knowing how these systems are wired it can be a problem with unvented cylinders.

the wire is from a five wire cable, two of the wires are BLACK one blue one green

I tried tracing the wire back but whoever installed it has for some reason run the wires underneath the cylinder then up so its hard to trace

theres a earth neutral two blacks and then this brown wire in this cable

Perhaps tracing the wires back from the zone valve may help... Can you trace/see where the brown wire from the HW zone valve is connected?

Assuming a typical s-plan, the brown from the HW valve should connect to one side of the fail safe/cylinder stat (maybe via the 10-way, maybe not). The other side of the cylinder stat (usually on the same 2/3core cable) will then connect to the programmer (via the 10-way connector).

Ignoring all the other wires for the moment, is there a 'break' in this circuit anywhere you can see? i.e. nothing connected to one side of the connectors in the 10-way where these wires are connected?

Be very carefull regards sytem wireing when unvented hot water cylinders are involved. icon_eek.gif

too true. i really think this should be done by a pro. this is potentially as risky as working on wiring to a gas valve in a boiler. unvented systems require a saftey limit cut off. via a two port. if your asking for advice on here, then in my eyes your not compotent to be working on such a system. slag me off all you want after this, i dont care. but i can sleep at night.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back