Wiring for electronics lab!

I will draw a circuit diagram THEN take it to an electrician for assessment. I am a qualified electronics engineer and I am more than aware of compliance!

I am also an electronics engineer, have been a sucessful one for over 40 years.

And therefore I know the difference between a circuit diagram and the installation diagram needed for converting that drawn circuit into a safe working reality.

Sponsored Links
Before anyone asks I WILL get it certified when ive wired it up.

Really? Have you asked any electricians whether they will be happy to do this for you, or are you just guessing that somebody will commit fraud for you?

Ooooh, thats a bit low... REMEMBER, this is all THEORY at the moment. I will draw a circuit diagram THEN take it to an electrician for assessment. I am a qualified electronics engineer and I am more than aware of compliance!

When you said 'i'm currently converting......' I thought that meant the job was in progress, as opposed to being just theory...

Sorry, wasn't meant to be rude, but it is a situation that a lot of DIYers find themselves in. I certainly don't blame you for not being aware of notification requirements of Part P, not many people do. That doesn't mean you don't have to consider it.

A sparky can only certify work which he has done. Also, he can only notify work which he has done.

I doubt a circuit diagram will have any bearing here, the circuits involved are simple. Its more to do with how and where those cables are to be installed. This would be far easier to deal with be inviting a sparky to you house to discuss your proposal.

Aberdeen was up north of the border last time I checked hence part p doesn't apply.
What sort of electronic equipment will you be repairing? Is there access to live parts at mains potential? If so I'd really consider having some sort of isolation transformer in there.

Aberdeen was up north of the border last time I checked hence part p doesn't apply.
What sort of electronic equipment will you be repairing? Is there access to live parts at mains potential? If so I'd really consider having some sort of isolation transformer in there.

Hiya, no.. its all max 5v

Sponsored Links
Before anyone asks I WILL get it certified when ive wired it up.

Really? Have you asked any electricians whether they will be happy to do this for you, or are you just guessing that somebody will commit fraud for you?

Ooooh, thats a bit low... REMEMBER, this is all THEORY at the moment. I will draw a circuit diagram THEN take it to an electrician for assessment. I am a qualified electronics engineer and I am more than aware of compliance!

When you said 'i'm currently converting......' I thought that meant the job was in progress, as opposed to being just theory...

Sorry, wasn't meant to be rude, but it is a situation that a lot of DIYers find themselves in. I certainly don't blame you for not being aware of notification requirements of Part P, not many people do. That doesn't mean you don't have to consider it.

A sparky can only certify work which he has done. Also, he can only notify work which he has done.

I doubt a circuit diagram will have any bearing here, the circuits involved are simple. Its more to do with how and where those cables are to be installed. This would be far easier to deal with be inviting a sparky to you house to discuss your proposal.

Thats ok :)

How do you square connecting a 2.5 RF circuit to a 6mm incoming feed?

Does that comply?

How do you square connecting a 2.5 RF circuit to a 6mm incoming feed? Does that comply?

I can see no problem with that provided the feed to the 6mm was fed via over current protection suited to the 2.5mm part of the circuit.

It should comply unless the regulations specifically ban the use of oversized cables as part or all of a circuit.

I can't see anything that specifiy does not allow a 'lollypop' circuit, does make testing a little more troublesome though, and if the connection point is someway from the board it might be difficult to see whats going on at a later date after records have been lost.

Other points to note, are it'll have a higher zs than a ring final right back to the DB and does not meet requirements for high integrity earthing (should that be a requirement).

I've often seen them chucked into computer labs with little deisgn, to give a 32A DP isolation switch for night time shutdown, no HIE, and because of the inrush of the switchmode PSUs, the breaker has often been swapped out for a D32 and the measured zs is somewhere approaching twice the max allowed :evil:

How do you square connecting a 2.5 RF circuit to a 6mm incoming feed?

Does that comply?

Comply with what ? The regs only tell us what minimum levels of safety should be achieved. A 'non-standard' circuit is still safe if it meets all the necessary parameters ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back