Wiring for ES fitting ceiling pendant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need an ES screw fitting ceiling pendant and found these are really hard to get! Eventually found this - in a nice chrome ceiling rose with a see through plastic cable that contains the 2 x Neutral/Live cables. Thing is I want to shorten the cable but it is a nightmare to pull through the wiring through the outer plastic sleeve so I would rather cut it at a suitable point to achieve the length required.

Question is when I have then cut it to length how do I then know which of the cables is neutral/live from the pendant to be able to wire in to the standard red/black cable coming from the ceiling?!

Any tips on this?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Question is when I have then cut it to length how do I then know which of the cables is neutral/live from the pendant to be able to wire in to the standard red/black cable coming from the ceiling?!
Some have a faint blue and brown line running through them for identification purposes, look closely for this. If that is not present then you will need a continuity tester to test between flex ends and lampholder.

Some have a faint blue and brown line running through them for identification purposes, look closely for this. If that is not present then you will need a continuity tester to test between flex ends and lampholder.

Hi, thanks for this - just got the magnifying glass out but no such luck. This would have been ideal.

Would you mind explaining how the continuity tester would be used in this case to find the live lead from the ceiling pendant?

On the ES lampholder you have a central contact (Live) and an external thread (Neutral), once you have cut the flexes to the length required, make of the ends to expose the stranded copper conductor, then by use of a continuity tester, test between the conductor ends and the lampholder contacts for a closed circuit, to identify which conductor end belongs' to the live side and which belongs' to the neutral side.

Sponsored Links
On the ES lampholder you have a central contact (Live) and an external thread (Neutral), once you have cut the flexes to the length required, make of the ends to expose the stranded copper conductor, then by use of a continuity tester, test between the conductor ends and the lampholder contacts for a closed circuit, to identify which conductor end belongs' to the live side and which belongs' to the neutral side.

Thanks for explaining this so well - install went well and using the tester to check worked well.

Right - have two to do so on to the next one!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back