Wiring for New Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a fairly small new kitchen installed.

I have had an electrician round to price up for the following:

* Install (not supply) 8 downlighters

* Install power for electric cooker in new position, ignition for gas hob and power for extractor.

* Supply and install 2 x fused points for dishwasher and washing machine.

* Move light switch to other side of kitchen

* Move light switch for outside light approx 12" (to where current kitchen light is)

* Install approx 6 new double sockets.

* Install (not supply) four under unit lights

* Move one double plug socket approx 2 feet

He considers this will take just over a day to do.

I have had a quote for £900 + VAT for labour.

This seems excessive to me. Any ideas what the going rate is please?

Sponsored Links
There is no such thing as a going rate... it varies greatly with location (e.g I couldn't get away with charging London rates in sunny Port Toilet, difficulty of the job (what type of walls are they, do you want the cables chased in, does he have to crawl into awkward spaces) how busy the spark is, how likely the job is to go on longer than planned due to unforeseeable problems etc.

Why don't you get a few more quotes and compare them, then go with the electrician you feel most comfortable with (not necessarily the cheapest!)

Thanks.

I'm actually in Norwich so I wouldn't expect to pay London rates here either.

I don't think he is particularly busy as he said he can fit me in whenever.

He does have to chase in, but not make good, as the walls are being plastered the following week.

I just feel that £900 + VAT is excessive bearing in mind he said it will take just over a day (presumably regardless of whether or not he chases in).

Maybe time to get some more quotes...

hi there

as has been explained it does depend on how much work is required and the exact parts he is supplying, time wise he wont get the 1st and 2nd fix done in 1 day, normally in kitchen that size 2 day 1st fix if all being chased and done properly and 1 day max 2nd fix.
Other questions you need to ask
Does my current fuse board have rcd protection
Is the gas and water bonded
Is this guy going to issue relevent certification when finished.

Sorry to make you think but current regs do not allow kitchens to be thrown in electrically.

Sponsored Links
I just first fixed a similar sized kitchen extention.

It took me and my appo 1 1/2 days

£500 parts and labour.

i will repeat that for the benifit of the OP:
pdenni said:
Is this guy going to issue relevent certification when finished.
-this is reasonably important as electrics now come under part p of the building regs so electricians have to be registered to do work on kitchens etc or you have to notify and pay the council before starting. theres more information in the wiki.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back