Wiring help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning. I started what I thought was a fairly straightforward change a light switch job today but I am now very confused. I have no experience of wiring and thought I'd ask here prior to trying to get a sparky out.

Kitchen lights - 2 switches at either end. Both switches when working switched the kitchen lights off and on. One of the light switches had broken and needed replaced. So I removed the plate, had a look at the wires and just wired up the same switch as the previous light had been done. The other switch had been working fine and now doesn't work at all.

The wire colours I have are Red, Blue, Yellow and an earth that is connected to the metal wall plate.

On the switch I removed I have 2 sets of wires coming in.

The only wires connected were a single Red to Common and a single Yellow to L1. Both blues were left disconnected.

On the opposite switch only one single 3 core wire came in. It was connected as a single red to common, single blue to L1 and single yellow to L2.

I am not an electrician. Should this be easy to sort out myself if I knew where the wires were supposed to go?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Quote..
The wire colours I have are Red, Blue, Yellow and an earth that is connected to the metal wall plate.

The only wires connected were a single Red to Common and a single Yellow to L1. Both blues were left disconnected
Where is the missing conductor ?

Quote..

The only wires connected were a single Red to Common and a single Yellow to L1. Both blues were left disconnected
Where is the second red ?

The second red was not connected. The end was cut off and it was tucked away.

Sponsored Links
https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Two-way-lighting

This diagram should help you when you say the blues are disconnected are they joined or just hanging in free space?

Photos will help at switches and light fittings

I have attached pic of both the switches. The one that is connected was the switch that was working fine. I have made no changes. The other picture is the bunch of wires I have to connect the replacement switch.

Attachments

• IMG-3034.jpg
    IMG-3034.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG-3033.jpg
    IMG-3033.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 245
In the cable sheath that contains the red conductor that is " cut off and tucked out the way " ,what other colours does it contain ( forget the bare copper earth conductor)

In the cable sheath that contains the red conductor that is " cut off and tucked out the way " ,what other colours does it contain ( forget the bare copper earth conductor)

It contains a single yellow and a single blue wire.

Your original post does not give the correct description . there are two yellow and two reds . The switch plate is metal ,and the earth conductors must be connected to the earth terminal on the back of the switch plate.

Here's a better pic.

Attachments

• IMG-3036.jpg
    IMG-3036.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 245
Your original post does not give the correct description . there are two yellow and two reds . The switch plate is metal ,and the earth conductors must be connected to the earth terminal on the back of the switch plate.

Apologies. That will be my lack of knowledge of anything electrical.

Did you take pics of the original switch and the wiring ?
You told us that the two blue conductors were not connected in the old switch , the two way switching quite simply could not work if they were not connected , if they were loose ( not connected to each other) and the bare copper exposed ,its likely that they have come out of the terminal when you pulled the switch from the wall.

You told us that the two blue conductors were not connected in the old switch , the two way switching quite simply could not work if they were not connected , if they were loose ( not connected to each other) and the bare copper exposed ,its likely that they have come out of the terminal when you pulled the switch from the wall.

They were definitely not connected but may well have popped out as I was pulling the switch out.

Not a great pic but that was original switch after being removed from wall.

Attachments

• IMG-3030.jpg
    IMG-3030.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 246

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back