Wiring help please

Sponsored Links
Yellow was connected to L1. Red to common.
What !! You just told me the red was not connected and tucked out the way from the said cable ??
There are two reds and two yellows ,please be concise .

What !! You just told me the red was not connected and tucked out the way from the said cable ??
There are two reds and two yellows ,please be concise .

One of the reds was tucked away the other connected to common.

One if the yellows was connected to L1. The other wasn't connected.

OK.. When you wired up the switch ,I assume the kitchen light came on and off when the new switch was operated ,but the switch that you didn't work on did not work at all. Is that so ?
Please advise what conductors you connected to what terminal ,and what conductors were not connected to the switch ( and what did you do with the ones not connected)

Sponsored Links
Almost certainly the 2 blue wires pulled out of L2 when you removed the switch so put them in L2 on the new switch and see if it works.

ignore . Just getting confused myself now :rolleyes:

Got to go back to the lights as a switched live

Last edited:
Sounds like a combination of one wire has snapped off, and one wire is not to be used.

What does the wiring look like at the light?

Are there only two switch positions operating the light(s)?

Is there only one rocker switch on each switch plate?

Trying to eliminate the possibility of an intermediate switch.

You could turn off the power and identify with a multimeter set to continuity which of the three core & earth cables connects to the switch that has one cable connected to it.

It would need determining but could it be that one three core and earth connects one switch to the other and the remaining one is a permanent live and switch wire. It's possible that someone had a job lot of three core & earth and used it everywhere.

In my experience, I have often found wires chopped off looking like they are disused that were actually in use and I have found wires stripped back as if connected are actually disused.

OP: If you feel confident using a multimeter, check which cable goes to the switch with one cable and check what the conductors in the remaining cable do.

Had another think.

If you still have the old switch, you should be able to see from the terminals if any wires have snapped off.

This may give you a clue as to what was where.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back