Wiring help required with this switch IP55 *fixed pictures*

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a waterproof inline switch to the mains cable on our waste disposal unit.
I bought a waterproof switch from screwfix, it is an IP55 CLIPSAL E5512S

Anyway, I need some confirmation I am going to be doing this right.

On the rear at the top it has 1 & L
and at the bottom it has 2

Here is a pic

DSC01684.jpg

I have cut the cable on the waste disposal unit and have a Live, Earth & Neutral on each end.

Do I put both 'Lives' in the L on my switch, one of the 'Neutrals' in the 1 on the switch and finally the other 'Neutral' in the 2 on the back of the switch.

Is this correct?

Any help much appreciated

Sponsored Links
No, it doesn't help, your picture isn't there. You can put up a link to the item on Screwfix if you like.

Sponsored Links
I don't recognise how that switch works.

However, you must not put both the supply and the load "Live" into the same terminal, since that would mean you had an unswitched live and your connected appliance would be unsafe when switched off.

I would probably have chosen a DP switch as an isolator.

i hope the switch you've got isn't a 2-way.

Can you show us the front, and its packaging?

It isn't one of these, it it?
p1436663_l.jpg
Weatherproof IP55 16A 1G 2W Sw

I have a feeling it is 2 way John :(

Heres a picture of the front, im affraid it didnt come in any box or with any instructions, just a clear plasctic bag :rolleyes:

IP55Front.jpg

Yes, I think it is.

I can't read the terminal markings in your picture.

A 2-way switch usually has a "COM" and an "L1" and an "L2". Does yours have these?

I see your switch seems to have screw terminals in pairs; are the two terminals in each pair connected together, or part of the same brass block?

Is ther a "parking" terminal for the Earth and Neutral wires? Your switch is probably only able to switch one pole, and this must be the "Live" red or brown cable.

smokey said:
Does this help? :LOL:

Wiringdiagram.jpg

Beep! Beep!
I've just realised another problem.

You are wiring this as a spur. I see no fuse on the cable between the supply and the appliance. This is wrong.

You need a fused spur.

If I were you I would use a 2-pole, fused, switched FCU with neon.

Sadly the switch you have bought is not suitable.

You can buy a waterproof FCU but they are very expensive.

If you can arrange to put one next to the socket that supplies it, I imagine this will be safe from water so you could use an ordinary plastic one.

The terminal markings are as follows.

Top right 2 terminals are labled 'L'
Top left 2 terminal are labled '1'
Bottom left 2 terminals are labled '2'

There isnt anything labled 'COM', 'L1' or 'L2'

The 2 'L' terminals are connected (you insert both wires and the screw at the top lifts up a brass platform which traps both wires in the same terminal)
This is the same with the '1' & the '2' terminals.

Parking terminal?? There is a screw in the cage to attach the 2 earth cables, if this is what you mean.

I wasnt sure about the fused spur or not as the disposal unit came with a 13amp 3 pin plug on it (fused obviously) which but can only be operated by the switch on the mains as there is no switch on the disposal unit....hence why we need a waterproof inline switch as wet hands will be operating the unit.

Does the fact our main fuse box is RCD protected? Or do we still need to fuse the disposal unit?

The switch needs to be in the cupboard directly under the sink....so anything you can link me to which will be upto the job would be much appreciated :)

Thanks again

You do need a fuse, and a switch. i don't think the switch you've got is ideal, so if I were you I'd put it away and get another.

I couldn't see a weatherproof DP switch in Screwfix, though they are made. but you need both a fuse, and a switch,. I looked at the MK Masterseal FCU, but they depend on the cover being closed to make them waterproof. I've got some others, there must be someone along who can tell you where to get them. They are used a lot for pond pumps and usually have a tilting "switch" as the plate that covers the whole of the switch front.

You could have an FCU next to the existing socket in the wall, and a waterproof switch as well, but this will mean using two components,
Fix the switch to the wall, not the cupboard.

I take your point about wet hands, though some people wouldn't worry

I will keep quiet for a bit and see who else comes along with a better idea.

Thanks for all your help John.......I think my crappy descriptions have put everybody else off replying lol :oops:

Anyway, I have binned the switch and am on the look out for another.

Is this any good do you think? I believe it is already fused so thats a bonus :)

http://shop.stapeleywg.com/store/Detail.aspx?pid=771

I cant seem to find hardly anything that looks like it will fit the job.

I was feeling really smug as I thought this was going to be a nice easy job that would earn me plenty of brownie points with the better half :(

It says fused and switched ("Junction box" is not what I'd call it), looks a bit odd, I can't see where the fuse goes (I assume it takes the same kind of fuse as goes in a plug).

See if you can find the manufactiere's website and see if it has a better description or drawings, and if it is certified to a BS number, which one.

This is all I have come up with so far:

Blagdon Switchbox Powersafe 2

Unlike Cheaper switchboxes all Powersafe outlets are individually fused for added safety and to ensure if one electrical item fails the supply to the pond life support system is not completely cut off resulting in disaster.

IPX4 Certified

All units are fully CE approved

Red 'On' tab indicator

Robust Internal fixings Powersafe 2 - Two way switchbox Fused outlets for up to 1 x 1000W and 1 x 300W

Total Unit capacity = 1300W

Voltage 220/240V 50/60 Hz

Saftey Rating IP56 CE

Maximum Cable size (External diameter (3 core 1.5 flex) 9mm

powersafeinstall.jpg

I will have to call them tomorrow to find out the BS number

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back