wiring a volex ip55 20a 1gang 2way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I have a ip55 switch turning on my uv clarifiers to the pond,I had reason to disconnect the wiring from it, idiot mode set in and I forgot to make a note of the wiring set up,looking at it from the back the switch has 2 connection at the top left side 1, right side L' under the no1 is the other conection no 2. I have a live and negative plus the 3 wirers from the uv's, anyone tell me the connections please before I blow the fuses again for the 8th time, thanks Reg7

Sponsored Links
What core colours do you have as your supply feed and what core colours are the cables for the load(UV)?
A picture of what you have would be nice!

Why not just use your multimeter on continuity setting to identify which switch terminals are which?

Would take a time measured in seconds, not minutes.....

Hi, thanks for your response to my question, the feed wires are RED (live)-BLACK (negative) - YELLOW/GREEN (earth).The uv's have BROWN (live)-BLUE (negative) - YELLOW/GREEN (earth).I am not to good on the computer but I will try to do a photo of the back of the switch and send it,Thanks Reg7

Sponsored Links
The red goes in to the top of the switch and the brown into the bottom. The black and blue have to be connected into a connector block, separate from the switch. The yellow/greens should connect into an earth terminal in the switchbox or the cover plate, if there is no earth terminal connect them together in a connector block.
Hi thanks for your response I thought that was the way, I have done a temp connection already with 3 blocks but I just dont remember using a block on the negatives only the earth,must be getting old and brain going,but thanks again for your help,it works, Reg7

Why not just use your multimeter on continuity setting to identify which switch terminals are which?

Would take a time measured in seconds, not minutes.....
Hi, thansks for your response, I had tried that but it just did not sink inbrain wearing out, thanks again, Reg7

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back