Wiring horizontally in a kitchen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning!

A friend at work just showed me photos of his kitchen first fit install carried out by a qualified electrican.

Along the top of the kitchen counter are a series of 2-gang sockets recessed into the wall spanning the width of the room (about 2/3 of them) but rather than feed each socket with it's ring supply running up/down, then along and up/down, the sockets are linked via a horizontal running ring simply exiting each socket from the side, running along to the next.

This...

---|___|-------------|___|------------|___|

Instead of this...

----|___|-------------|___|-------------|___|
------|-------------------|------------------|

Sorry for the rather crude illustration. Basically the installation path he has chosen means that should someone ever wish to install something that requires mounting within the tile space above the work surface, they may not suspect (I certainly wouldn't) that the electrical feed would be running horizontally.

I'm not an electrician but I wouldn't be happy with this installation, so I am wondering if this Part-P satisfactory, best practice and safe?

Sponsored Links
yes it's fine, and far more sensible than going up and down

Sponsored Links
Very interesting and thanks for all of your responses - I still don't like the idea if it were my own kitchen but that is my next project so at least I now know :D

Thanks all.

In fact, if you were to wire those sockets as per your second diagram, that would be against the regs, as unless there were sockets/accessories along that low horizontal cable run, then that would be outside the safe zones. That of course assumes that cable wouldn't be burried more than 50mm deep or in earthed metal conduit, in which case it would be OK out of safe zones.

You absolutely should expect cables to be burried vertically or horizontally from any accessory, because that is permitted. What on earth would you want to mount to a wall just above worktop height between sockets anyway? :confused:

paige-crimps.jpg

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back