Wiring in a Cooker hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've just moved into a new house and ripped out the cooker hood to replace it. I've found it wasn't actually wired in and was only decorative. I would like to put a working one in. There is currently a double mains socket and a cooker switch with socket mouth mounted on tiles (don't want to damage the tiles). Can I just put a plug on the cable and plug it in? I'm not fussed about the cable it will be coming down behind a cabinet.

Sponsored Links
unless it is an extractor, blowing the steam and fumes outside the house, a cooker hood is just an ornament.

Are you going to install an extraction duct?

That's not true.

The non-extract ones have paper and charcoal filters and trap a lot of grease.

Sponsored Links
It has an integral charcoal filter and recycles the air. The old one has very clearly been cut off rather than plumbed in.
I would be running the cables Asian the back of a cabinet straight into a plug. The cooker is also induction so chance of accidental damage is very low. Socket's are about a foot over from the job as well.

Also if I was to put a plug on it is it a 3a guard plug I need and can you get top fed ones?

If it has incandescent lamps in it I would advise a 5 amp fuse unless you don't mind replacing the fuse every time a lamp blows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back