Wiring in an MVHR unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wiring in an MVHR unit. I'm doing a lot of wiring on a house build myself, to be signed off later.
So, I have this wiring diagram:

IMG_20210114_183935.jpg

My query is, apart from the L/N/E in, the rest is from the controller to the unit.
So there are a number of wires running between them.
Presumably, there's no need for heavy wires, but I'm trying to work out a tidy way of doing the wiring. There's no information on what weight of wires to use, so I'm thinking somewhere between a six wire alarm wire and two 3 core + earth wires, but the latter is really NOT neat.

Any thoughts, please?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Well, if that schematic is true, then the wiring carries the full power of the motors. So it must be mains rated cable, alarm cable will NOT do! It must also be of adequate size for the load, and of adequate size to be protected by the fuse feeding that unit. Where is your power coming from? 3A FCU?

Something like this (known as type YY control cable) may be suitable, as long as it meets the above requirements... https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Index/Flex_7_Core_Grey/index.html

Last edited:
Yes, a 3amp FCU for power.
I've never seen YY control, before.
The one you mention looks OK.
This is the power requirement, (in red).

mvhr-spec.jpg

What wire size would I need?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back