Wiring in cavity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My gran wants some sockets putting in her sunroom but does not want me chasing out walls as she has exposed brickwork, and the floor is concrete. Is it against building regs to run the cables through the cavity? If so, whats the alternative?

Sponsored Links
You're not supposed to because the cables could be damaged during installation. Buildind regs say the same thing, the cables can spread damp across a wall.

Sponsored Links
Thats what i thought, but some people say thats the way conservatorys are wired, which i've not done myself. Any other suggestions apart from trunking or conduit?

Is there no way of taking the cable into the loft / underneath the upstairs floorboards.

If not then do what you have to do, just get the job done and don't tell anyone ;)

Exposed ceiling and walls, she dosn't want any trunking/conduit and no chasing of walls, got a solid concrete floor, dunno wot she thinks i am!

New2Game said:
Exposed ceiling and walls, she dosn't want any trunking/conduit and no chasing of walls, got a solid concrete floor, dunno wot she thinks i am!

Two words.

Extension.

Lead.

Bare pyro on exposed brickwork? ... looks quite nice IMHO

Adam_151 said:
Bare pyro on exposed brickwork? ... looks quite nice IMHO

....only if it's been done well. Anyone who's installed MI will agree that when it's done well it can look like a work of art but when it's done badly it can look worse than grey T&E with white clips at random intervals run diagonally across a purple wall

Pensdown said:
Anyone who's installed MI will agree that when it's done well it can look like a work of art but when it's done badly it can look worse than grey T&E with white clips at random intervals run diagonally across a purple wall

Don't joke. I've seen everything but the diagonal bit :eek:

Having never actually seen it looking 'bad' I wouldn't know about that :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back