Wiring In Outdoor Security Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have mounted an outdoor security light close to where evidently an old one was located. Very close to this is a hole which comes through into the house beneath the floor boards of the upstairs landing.
Now, can I connect this outdoor light (80 watt halogen with 9 watt PL-S) using the 1mm square flex stated in its instructions to the ground floor lighting circuit which I can access under the floor boards via a 20amp terminal junction box or should the flex go via a fcu first?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
its always reccomended that you have a `means of isolation` for an external fitting,
so a switched fuse spur with a 3 amp fuse will do you fine.

remember part P tho!

Did the old security light have a switch to operate it, if so I guess this is all still available for use without any addition or alteration.
If the light is mounted on to the side of your house and the cable is terminated directly in to the new light, part p should not really be an issue, regarding notifiable work.
The one thing you must make sure of is, that any joints made are easily accessible, so the junction box within the ceiling void could be the real issue.
So if you can run new cable without joints that would be best.

Sponsored Links
Strangely enough I cannot find any signs of where the old light sourced it's power from. No old cables, no unused light switches, no connection boxes. Where the cable enters through the wall there is a light fitting immediately below however I've dropped this fitting and can't see how they could of spurred from it as it looks full enough already.
There is a double wall socket within reach on the landing so for peace of mind may go from this via a fcu.

Where the cable exits the house it has about a 1 meter run straight up the wall to the fitting. Is this within Part P regs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back