wiring lighting form socket using 5amp fused spur. Dimmer Sw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have wired a new dimmer switch that is feeding two wall lights.
I have spured off a normal socket which is then wired into a 5amp fused spur and then onto the dimmer and then onto the wall lights. I think i have done everything correctly apart from the wiring into the back of the dimmer switch. Can someone help me with how i wire both the feed form the fused spur and the wire leading to the wall lights in.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You connect the earths together in the earth terminal on the back box, if the dimmer switch is metal you MUST earth that too.

You join the neutral wires together in a piece of connector block.

If your dimmer is new it should come with a wiring diagram; it may even be printed on the back of the dimmer. The feed wire goes in one terminal, the light wire goes in another terminal.

Is your dimmer one way or two way?
What markings are on the terminals?

And I take it that it is not working.
I have spured off a normal socket
Is this already a spur from the ring final circuit (RFC) or is it part of the RFC? In other words how many cables are in the socket you have wired it from?
which is then wired into a 5amp fused spur and then onto the dimmer and then onto the wall lights. I think i have done everything correctly apart from the wiring into the back of the dimmer switch.
So it doesn't work then?
Can someone help me with how i wire both the feed form the fused spur and the wire leading to the wall lights in.
Thanks

Assuming that the RFC socket is not a spur then connect the line, neutral and earth at the socket run it up to the FCU's line neutral and earth and then onto the dimmer.
At the dimmer you want to put the line into the Common terminal, the neutral into a terminal block and the earth into the back of the box - if it is a metal dimmer you will also need an earth fly lead to the back of the box.
You then need to connect the switch live to the wall lights to the L1 terminal and the wall lights return neutral in the neutral terminal block - make sure the earths are also matched.
What type of wall lights have you?
If it is the bayonet type then there is less of an issue identifying the switch live - if it is the edison screw in type then you need to identify which is the switch live and which is the neutral.
Finally if the new cable is not buried more than 50mm below the surface or mechanically protected and earthed you will need to ensure that the circuit is protected by an RCD.

Sponsored Links
You connect the earths together in the earth terminal on the back box, if the dimmer switch is metal you MUST earth that too.

If your dimmer is new it should come with a wiring diagram; it may even be printed on the back of the dimmer. The feed wire goes in one terminal, the light wire goes in another terminal.

The markings are common, L1 and L2. The dimmer is brand new and i have got the lights working but not the switch live as i can only turn it off by the fused spur.

Did you, at any point, connect the neutral to the dimmer? If so, your next journey should be to buy a new dimmer.

You need to connect switched live and live to the dimmer. ONLY. Neutral bypasses the switch.

The markings are common, L1 and L2. The dimmer is brand new and i have got the lights working but not the switch live as i can only turn it off by the fused spur.

sorry the dimmer is just one way.

Is this already a spur from the ring final circuit (RFC) or is it part of the RFC? In other words how many cables are in the socket you have wired it from?
which is then wired into a 5amp fused spur and then onto the dimmer and then onto the wall lights. I think i have done everything correctly apart from the wiring into the back of the dimmer switch.
So it doesn't work then?
Can someone help me with how i wire both the feed form the fused spur and the wire leading to the wall lights in.
Thanks

Assuming that the RFC socket is not a spur then connect the line, neutral and earth at the socket run it up to the FCU's line neutral and earth and then onto the dimmer.
At the dimmer you want to put the line into the Common terminal, the neutral into a terminal block and the earth into the back of the box - if it is a metal dimmer you will also need an earth fly lead to the back of the box.
You then need to connect the switch live to the wall lights to the L1 terminal and the wall lights return neutral in the neutral terminal block - make sure the earths are also matched.
If it is the bayonet type then there is less of an issue identifying the switch live - if it is the edison screw in type then you need to identify which is the switch live and which is the neutral.
Finally if the new cable is not buried more than 50mm below the surface or mechanically protected and earthed you will need to ensure that the circuit is protected by an RCD.

i think ive got it. So i connect the two neutrals together in a connector block then the live that comes from the fused spur to the common terminal and the live that comes from the wire that leads to the lights in the L1 terminal. Also its RCD protected.

i think ive got it. So i connect the two neutrals together in a connector block then the live that comes from the fused spur to the common terminal and the live that comes from the wire that leads to the lights in the L1 terminal. Also its RCD protected.

Yes that is correct - don't forget the earths. ;)

So it doesn't work then?
Thanks

Just one more thing, if it is a spur from the ring main can i not use this socket to spur the lighting from? thanks

Yes that is correct - don't forget the earths. ;)

Ok thanks that has really helped me out of an awkward situation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back