Wiring lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we are about to put a stud wall in a room to make a bedroom and a hallway, the problem is that's the lights switch is going to be in the hallway and the light is in the bedroom, how would I be able to put a light in the hallway using the existing light switch and then put a light switch on the stud wall to work with the original light. Many thanks and look forward to your replies.

Sponsored Links
It's a fairly easy change but do you know anything about electrics at all?

Do you know if the current arrangement is looped in the switch or the rose?

Hi thanks for the reply I'm a chippy by trade but know a little bit about electrics from the jobs if been on, it's a looped lighting system if that helps

Right. So the switch for the bedroom light is now in the hallway.

It depends on the relationship between the light and switch positions and the cable runs.

I am assuming there is only one switch for the bedroom light, as you have not said otherwise.

If the cable running to the switch which is now in the hallway will reach to the new hallway light position, disconnect it from the bedroom light wiring and reroute it to there.

Then run a cable from the bedroom light wiring to the hallway light point. That's the feed to the new light, connecting to the loop wiring in the bedroom.

Then run a new cable (switch wire) from the bedroom light point to where you want the new bedroom light switch in the new studwork.

Sponsored Links
I'm not qualified so follow at your own peril!

Turn off the power!

This will probably create a branch in the light circuit but AFAIK it's ok to do this since it should be radial anyway.

1. Move the switched cable from the existing light to your new light
2. Add a new switch cable from your old light to your new switch

If it's looped at the switch

3. Add a new "loop" cable from your new switch to your old switch

If it's looped at the Rose

3. Add a new "loop" cable from your new rose to your old rose

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back