Wiring momentary switch with a home automation bridge..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm on the verge of sending this back as I am convinced its faulty, however I just wanted to check this through with anyone else who may have used these.

Below are the instructions from the manual:
f330e0fdf6bd43c60d2abee8a954bec50ea7db2d.png

755abd8f6e3d766481319580e01855b24bf93885.png

As you can see below, I have wired this in the correct way (im 99% sure)
e5ea80cca7b859fc5361dd79ef685a1eb6243e04.png

Now, the switch I am using is a BG 20 AX Outdoor switch, the manual can be found here:
http://www.bgelectrical.uk/public/d...f/WP12_WP42_WP14_WP30_20amp_20AX_switches.pdf

It states that for One Way switching, I should use the following:

7a) For ONE WAY Switching, wire the module as follows:-
Connect LIVE wire to COM terminal
Connect SWITCHED LIVE wire to 1 WAY terminal

I am doing that as you can see, however it suddenly occurred that Fibaro acts as a wireless switch, so in theory should be Two Way switching. This is where I am confused though:

7b) For TWO WAY Switching using this Switch & another remote switch, wire the module as follows:-
On one switch:-
Connect LIVE wire to COM terminal
Connect SWITCHED LIVE wire to 1 WAY/L1 terminal
On remote switch, using 3–core cable between switches
Connect wire core 1 between COM terminals
Connect wire core 2 between 1 WAY/L1 terminals
Connect wire core 3 between 2 WAY/L2 terminals

I am a bit baffled on how to hook this up now as obviously the Fibaro module is not a BG Momentary switch. The way it works is:

L & N - Live for the module
IN - Live feed for the pump
Q - Live feed to the pump
S1 - Switch control

Basically it allows you to control the appliance (pump) remotely from your phone or via a momentary switch.

Has anyone got any suggestions, or maybe something for me to look at if I have wired it up wrong?

Sponsored Links
The instructions for the BG switches are irrelevant for this application.

The external switch is just a momentary switch connected between S1 and L. Momentary as in you press it to operate, and it returns to the open position when you remove your finger from it. Often have 'PRESS' printed on the front of them and may also be called retractive switches.
Other than the wiring as shown in the diagram for the device, you will also need to connect it to the network etc. before it will work.

Exactly which Fibaro unit are you using ? There are several diferent units which have similar connection diagrams but very different functions.

Push button mains switches ( ON only when held pressed ) are iften refered to a Retractive switches rather than momentary switches.

Exactly which Fibaro unit are you using ? There are several diferent units which have similar connection diagrams but very different functions.

Push button mains switches ( ON only when held pressed ) are iften refered to a Retractive switches rather than momentary switches.

Its the FGS-212 Relay Switch Module. The way it is currently works is that when the button is pushed, it disconnects.

Sponsored Links
fibaro-fgs212.jpg

There are 2 push button, momentary or retractive switches so ypou will need to change the switch.
It is very probable that the fgs212 act on change of state of the switch ( from ON to OFF or from OFF to ON ) and not the steady state so momentary switches are necessary.

Pressing one switch will switch Q to Live (ON ) and pressing the other switch will turn Q OFF

OK so its "working"

I seem to have to push the switch numerous times to get it to toggle. Nothing wrong with the connections as have tested and works each time. Likely something up with the module itself then! Gah

Is the switch a momentary switch

Product Application & Features
The Weatherproof Switch range comprises a robust polycarbonate enclosure incorporating a 1 or 2 gang Grid Switch Module arrangement. It provides a convenient & safe wall-mounted control
for outdoor equipment such as lighting, garden pond pumps, etc up to 20A current rating. Modules can be changed for others from the Grid range such as a 20A Double Pole or retractive
‘PRESS’ switch.

View attachment 116467

There are 2 push button, momentary or retractive switches so ypou will need to change the switch.
It is very probable that the fgs212 act on change of state of the switch ( from ON to OFF or from OFF to ON ) and not the steady state so momentary switches are necessary.

Exactly the opposite, surely? A normal switch changes state once each time it is operated - Off to On the first time, On to Off the next, and so on. A momentary/retractive switch provides two changes of state in quick succession as it is pressed and released.

So if the unit operated on a change of state as you say, then a normal switch should work OK (and so would normal two-way switching)

So if the unit operated on a change of state as you say, then a normal switch should work OK (and so would normal two-way switching)

The fgs212 might consider an input held active ( switch in the ON state ) for more than a few seconds as a fault condition in the switch ( jammed in the ON positiion ) and ignore it.

In that case then a normal switch would have to be switched ON and then immediately back to OFF to similate a Press Button being operated.

The fgs212 might consider an input held active ( switch in the ON state ) for more than a few seconds as a fault condition in the switch ( jammed in the ON positiion ) and ignore it.

In that case then a normal switch would have to be switched ON and then immediately back to OFF to similate a Press Button being operated.

It might, but I have used similar units from various makers and none of them does that.

Yes - but that is still TWO state changes, it's just a matter of how the device interprets those -which is a different question.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back