Wiring my Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks, need your advice please.
i am currently wiring my shed before getting a sparkie to install a sub board,so in preparation i am installing:-
2 power circuits and 1 light circuit.
the light circuit will power four only twin fluoro lights.(using 1mm twin & earth cable).

1 power circuit will be for 1 x 10 amp power outlet and 1 x 5 outlet (10 amp) using 1.5mm twin and earth cable.

the second power circuit will power 2 x 15 amp power outlets on case i need to use a domestic welder.using 2.5mm twin and earth cable.

please advise if i am well within the cable handling limits.

regards eggo

Sponsored Links
are you in the uk
if so you need to comply with part "p"
and involve an electrician from the start who can certify his work
or notify building control before you start advising [at your cost ] you want them to certify the work
you dont mention distances for volt loss calculations ??

He is in Victoria, Australia.

1 mm cable should be OK for lighting, 1.5 is OK for 10A, and 2.5 is plenty for 15A.

Thank you winston 1 and who responded to my inquiry.

To run the power from my house i need 70Metres (Max) to power my shed.

Bearing in mind i want to have 1 Light and 2 power circuits.

To ensure that I have the right cable for the Sparkie, will i get away with 4mm twin and Earth or will i need to go up to 6mm?

Sponsored Links
you need to know the load you require [amps/watts/volts]at 70m your probably need 10mm armoured but i havent got a clue to aussie regs or what voltage your on i am afraid :D :D

i have had to revise my estimated cable run.
I have determined (accurately) my cable run (this the Live feed) and i don't need 70 metres. i am down to 55 metres.

The problem I have is i am not able to assess my load other than to say I don't intend running anything more powerful than a 15 amp welder.(have two outlets on 1 separate circuit. Everything else (bench grinder, power drills (1/2inch ) will require only 10 amp outlets.

I was told that due to voltage drop i would need 10mm twin & earth cable. Don't mis understand me i am prepared to use 10mm but it seems like massive overkill .

Can anyone please advise ?

You don't run T&E externally. Especially not for that sort of supply.

Please get an electrician to handle the submain for you.

Thanks monkeh, i fully intend to get a electrician to do the connections.
what i am trying to do is cut labour and some material costs by buying the cable and laying it in the roof of my house and then bringing it down the cavity wall then joining the underground cable to the cable from the mains in a junction box (the sparkie will do the connections).

in other words all i want the sparkie to do (after checking everything) is to connect the main house switchboard, join the cables and connect the submain in the shed.

what i am trying to find out is the size cable to run from the house mains to the shed.

You won't save any material costs, and at the end of the day it is down to your electrician to specify the cable and its installation method.

Either consult him if you're really dead set on saving an hour of labour, or just let him do it.

Bit concerned that you are in Australia and all your replies have come from the UK. The electrical rules and regs are somewhat different in each country and even vary between the different states in Australia.
You really need to get some local advice.

Bit concerned that you are in Australia and all your replies have come from the UK. The electrical rules and regs are somewhat different in each country and even vary between the different states in Australia.
You really need to get some local advice.

its not always the case winston that the information is correct thats why we are giving answers and because they arnt saying yes i am australian then its a 80% chance they are uk :D :D ;)

His profile does say Victoria, Australia.

people often but not always through lazyness or error come from many exotic places
very very few people from other shores use this forum :LOL:
he could off course be aussy we wait ant see:cool: :cool:

all of what you say is correct gentlemen ,however i would have been delighted to hear from someone in aussie but it just didn't happen.

i tried the local elec distributers but here in (vic) aussie they either don't want to help or they want big bucks to do the job and i aint gonna throw my money away. all i try to do is get a reaonable deal.(one guy quoted $500 yes $500 ) for a power point. i nicely told him where to go.

a plumber charged a housewife a (pensioner) $700 to change a stop a leak in her kitchen sink mixer. a new mixer costs around $200.

mind you at the risk of sounding racist, most of the overcharging is done by the non anglo-saxon tradies.

to add to the humour of the whole saga, i am a Scotsman (73 years of age and having spent many years in the aussie mil engrs ) i know what i am doing when it comes to running elec cables etc .i simply draw the line at being ripped off by the modern generation of tradies. additionally i do NOT touch anything that a licensed plumber or electrician is required to do by law. when i do any sort of work it is always top quality and usually find that even licensed tradies do some shady work e,g, not soldering earth wires when required by law.

i have spent a great deal of my life doing work for free for people who cannot afford to pay exorbitant fees that tradies would have charged.
i do very much enjoy the banter that goes on in these forums,and i send a good old aussie g'day to all you Brits.

Sponsored Links
Back