Wiring new feed from CU to electric cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully an easy question...is it acceptable/legal for a homeowner in the UK to install a new power feed from CU through to a new cooker in a kitchen provided that it is then inspected and approved by an appropriately qualified electrician?

Sponsored Links
Hopefully an easy question...is it acceptable/legal for a homeowner in the UK to install a new power feed from CU through to a new cooker in a kitchen provided that it is then inspected and approved by an appropriately qualified electrician?
Not in the manner you suggest.

A new circuit from your CU is work that has to be 'notified' to your local authority. Assuming you are competent to do the work, you can 'notify' yourself, but will attract notification fees that could be a few hundred quid. A registered ('self-certifying') electrician can do that notification for minimal cost.

A third option (if you are in England, not Wales) is to employ an electrician who is a registered 'third party certifier' - but they are hard to find, and must be on-board, and supervising, before you start the work.

Kind Regards, John

Thank you, John, for your very quick and clear reply. Yes I am competent to do the work, but wasn’t aware of the notifiable aspect.
Sounds like it would be cheaper to get an electrician to do the work than do it myself....
At least I can prepare the route, wall chasing etc to minimise the electrician’s time.

At least I can prepare the route, wall chasing etc to minimise the electrician’s time.
Only if you find this electrician first to establish where they want the wall chases to be.

Then the next problem occurs in that as you will end up doing the bulk of the work, many electricians will not be interested as the amount of work involved is insignificant.
Or they will price it significantly higher to make it worthwhile - but then they may as well do the whole lot themselves.

Sponsored Links
yeh, all of that. I’m normally happy to pay for work that I’m incapable of doing. Having had a lifetime career as a professional in electronics, brought up through the electrical enginnering route, it just frustrates me to be forced to employ others for work I can easily do. I know, I’m at that grumpy old man stage in life, and apologies to all the electricians out there that need to make an honest living for their families.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back