Wiring new oven and hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello -

My old hob and oven were both wired into a terminal outlet that was screwed into the back of the kitchen unit, and was, in turn, wired with 6mm cable to 45A cooker control unit. The CCU is on a 6mm radial from the consumer unit, protected by a 30amp, single-bladed, fuse.

My question is, if the oven runs at 2.3KW and the hob 5kW (around 32A) can I wire both flexes into the terminal outlet again? Or should I run two cables from the CCU, one 6mm to a terminal outlet for the hob, the other 2.5mm (or smaller) to a flex oulet, for the oven.

There is a nearby FCU and single socket within the same double back box, both separately spurred from the ring. I plan to use the FCU for the cooker hood and need the socket free. Could I install 2 FCUs instead, to feed the hood and the oven, then install a CCU with a socket, since the hob is not that powerful?

Sponsored Links
You can connect the hob and oven to the outlet you currently have available as long as the flex used it rated at, or above the fuse rating. If you do this you can use the fused spur for the cooker hood and the socket will be free.

You should never connect a cable to a circuit unless the CCC of that cable meets, or exceeds the fuse rating - so you can not use 2.5mm² or smaller cable from the CCU to feed the oven.

The oven came with a flex - 1.5mm I believe. The hob instructions specify a similar flex. I shall check their ratings. Hopefully I can wire them both to the terminal outlet. The CCU is a standard 45A and the radial circuit is 30A.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back