wiring new wireless thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first post so please be gentle.

I'm just after some advice please on some wiring.

I currently have a bog standard Y plan system, room stat, cylinder stat and programmer etc, but want to change the standard 'wired' room thermostat to a wireless one.

How would I go about doing this?

Can someone tell me how to wire in the new reciever to this sort of system? Will I have to take wires from the programmer and mount the receiver next to it, or in place of the old stat?

If i remember right, I need 5 wires to the receiver, permenant live & neutral, but where do I pick the others up from to make sure the current goes up to the motorised valve?

Any help or wiring diagrams of any receiver would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
put the reciever next to your wiring centre box in the airing cupboard if you want.

4 wires not 5.

Perm L N and the existing room stat cable to where it says in the instructions. Usually 1 and 3. No need to alter anything in the wiring centre

RF stats aren't that reliable though. Why are you replacing it?

thanks thats a better idea.... what wires would I need to pick up from the wiring centre? and if i did this whats the best thing to do with the old room stat as its obviously wired up to the junction box?

Sponsored Links
perm live & neutral from wiring centre.

then use the old room stat wires to the new reciever.

Perm L N and the existing room stat cable to where it says in the instructions. Usually 1 and 3. No need to alter anything in the wiring centre

RF stats aren't that reliable though. Why are you replacing it?

Its in a terrible place... about 5 inches from the front door and the howling gales around it...

In order to get the perm L&N it needs to either be next to the programmer or the wiring centre (the receiver that is).... as far as I can tell the programmer only has one wire going from CH on that then goes the the room stat..... can someone give me a dummies guide to wiring the receiver in to either of these locations?

P.S I'm ok with wiring and electricity, as I'm a telemetry engineer, so please dont worry about me going up in a pretty blue flash :LOL:

512px-Y-Plan-Wiring.gif

Find the cable that goes to the room stat from the wiring centre. Stick it straight in the receiver next to the wiring centre. Probably be able to get your perm LN from there aswell.

Ah I see....... thunderbolt his me...

Wire perm L&N into receiver.......
At wiring centre take the wire that should go back to the room stat and put that into the receivers 'in' terminal (is that the call?) then from the receivers 'out' back to the wiring centre to the terminal with the white wire for the motorised valve?

Old room stat is now 'electrically dead' and can have its wires chopped and removed from the wall...

Is this right?

Maybe it is easier to follow if you first make sure the current situation is exactly as per "official" y-plan.
Once it is like that, you can remove the cable that is connected to 2, 4, and 5.
Now run a 2 core flex from the switching connections on the fr unit and connect them to 4 and 5.

Maybe it is easier to follow if you first make sure the current situation is exactly as per "official" y-plan.

What do you mean?
any pointers on finding out what cable comes from what? say what cable is from the room stat at the junction box then? My multimeter cable isnt 20m long :LOL:

What do you mean?
any pointers on finding out what cable comes from what? say what cable is from the room stat at the junction box then? My multimeter cable isnt 20m long :LOL:

Wire the ends together and do a continuity test :idea:

Wire the ends together and do a continuity test
You don't even need to be that technical. One wire from the thermostat will connect to the white wire from the mid-position valve. Find that and you have identified the cable to the thermostat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back