Wiring of high level fires on bedroom walls!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
When we moved into our home in 1985 one bedroom and the bathroom had a single bar electric fire high up on the wall operated by a pull cord. The house was built in 1968 when central heating was not commonplace.

We didn't like the fires too much so they were removed and blanking plates put on the outlet sockets. I'm now redoecorating and would like to remove the wiring and plaster over the sockets.

The wiring runs straight up into the loft. One of the fires had a wire coming in and another back out, which then loops over to the second fire where the wiring ends. So they are not on the ring main. The fires do not have a dedicated fuse in the fusebox.

Has anyone seen this kind of setup before please? Do you think the fires are run as a spur off the ring main?

Obviously I can trace the wires in the loft, but that means lifting lots of insulation, so some hints on what to expect would be helpful.
Thanks
Robin

Sponsored Links
Who knows. Back in 1968 a spur could have 2 sockets, so possibly 2 fires.

How about connecting a light bulb to one of the connections (with the power off) and finding which breaker controls it.

The wiring can be pulled back into the loft and used for a useful loft socket.

Or pulled up in to the loft and terminated in a suitable junction box.

I don’t really mean terminated. I mean that, if they were joined together on the wall, they should be joined together in the junction box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back