Wiring outside lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Im looking to put up 4 wall lights going round my garage/pathway at side of my house. Is it possible to wire these up to a PIR sensor so they all come on at the same time? Im hoping to wire it from the power thats in the garage. There is a fusebox in there.

Sponsored Links
Feed to PIR . Then onto first light /2nd/3rd/ 4th in parallel.

Sponsored Links
As Terry says. Run your supply/switch to the PIR Live in. Then run the PIR switched live out to the first light and carry on to the other lights in turn. They'll all come on with the the PIR then.

Okay. There is currently no lights up yet, but there is a main junction box that supplies power to the garage for the inside lights, sockets etc.. Can I run my supply straight from that? Would 1.5mm t & e be suitable?

If the supply to the junction box is a feeding sockets then you'd need to fuse it down, but if you can access a dedicated lighting supply. i.e. run off a 6A MCB for example, then just run your 1mm or 1.5mm T&E from there.

then just run your 1mm or 1.5mm T&E from there.

If you supply the outdoor lamps from the indoor lighting circuit then it is advisable to put a double pole isolator in the supply to the outdoor lamps. This will enable you to fully isolate the outdoor lamps if one of them is damaged or water logged such that it trips the RCD or MCB of the indoor lighting.

If you wire in triple+earth cable (live, switched live, neutral, earth) you can have multiple PIRs and multiple lights. All lights will come on when any PIR is activated.

E8E00062-0256-439B-9BB4-A20461A1A4A0.jpeg
Here is what is in my garage...
F0985AA1-FC83-45CA-9BAD-ED11A9BE3B3A.jpeg

There are no rules for owner occupied homes to say you must upgrade, however any addition must comply with current rules, unless your supply is RCD protected some where, then you have problems adding to the system, so nothing wrong with what you have that can be seen, but to add to it and comply raises problems.

Likely easy was is wire lights to a RCD plug and simply plug them in.
TLPRCD.JPG

Okay thanks. What about fitting one single light above front door of garage to light up my drive way? Would I have the same issues as the other lights or would one light be easier? Just a basic flood light with built in PIR, no switch or nothing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back