Wiring question : 2 light switch ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone help ?
I have 2 living room lights currently switched off a one switch dimmer.
I wish to change to just switch not dimmer.
I wish to either control both lights on/off with one switch OR have separate switch for control of each light
I have attached photo of existing wiring, unfortunately on red wire came off when taking plate off so now don't know where it was ?
If it had been still connected I would just have followed existing wiring to replace with one switch choice
Can someone show me wiring for
1 Switch solution
2 switch solution

Many thanks

Attachments

• switch1.jpg
    switch1.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 146
  • switch 2.jpg
    switch 2.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 127
Sponsored Links
swapping dimmer for a single switch would be the easy option .when you stated a "separate " switch ,do you mean a second switch in a different location ,or just 2 switches on one plate ?

No I cant since I am putting in led fixture which cannot be dimmed thus the need just for switch. Yes I ment either 1 or 2 switches just on same plate.
Since one of the wires is loose on the photo im not sure for single switch solution where it goes (came out from)

think you will find that the loose conductor was on the same terminal as the one that currently has only one conductor in it. the terminal marked with wavy line and arrow thru it ,is the variable output to the light fittings ,and has two conductors still attached.

Sponsored Links
I would assume if you now have a conductor out, by switching the lights on. That would indicate what purpose it serves. You will either have lose of one of the two lights connected to switch or loss of power to one or more lights around the circuit.

But safe way is to test them by using a test meter, this would establish what all the conductors are doing.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back