Wiring question - single to double plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a single socket plug I want to convert into a double plug and had a quick question about the wiring. I've attached a pic of the existing config - what confuses me is even though there are 2 earth pins, one is unused.

For the double plug, would it just be a case of sticking both earth wires into 1 pin, or should I make use of both?

I took off one of my existing double plugs to see how it was set up but the back isn't the same type as what I bought. I've attached a pic of the new plug as well

Thanks

DSC_1881.JPG DSC_1882.JPG

Sponsored Links
You can use either of the earth terminals in the new socket - they are connected together within the socket itself. Make sure there is no copper showing when connecting the wires to the new socket (unlike the neutral terminal in the old socket).

It's a socket-outlet by the way.
It makes no difference if you put both the earths into one terminal or one in each. Do whichever is easier. While you're at it, try to not have any exposed copper wires showing - your neutral has either been stripped back too far, or it isn't fully inserted into the teminal.

You can us either for both cables or if you so desire put one in each.
Both terminals are connected to each other via a metallic plate on the socket outlet

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick responses!!

The neutral only looks like that because I took the pic half-way between loosening up the existing connections and seeing how easy it was to install the new moulding :)

I was wondering about the "double plug" though it must be a caravan they have a double plug one N type and one S type.
It seems an odd wall! Maybe a pre-fab house? The cables look like singles, the earths wires are a give away, no sleeve. As singles you can have a stranded cable, I see no way anyone from a photo, can tell if imperial or metric cable. And anyway why does it matter? Both old and new seem to have two earth connections can't see why new is not simply wired same as old?

As an aside why was it tinned and why is it not done now?

I think it followed over from when rubber cable was tinned, rubber cable being tinned so the copper didn't react with the rubber. When it was realised this was an unnecessary step with pvc insulation the manufacturers stopped. Although they did then add that antioxidant that creates that green slime...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back