Wiring question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just replaced a broken 2 way 2 gang switch and seem to have stumbled across a problem...i'll explain the set up first.

I have 3 lights, 2 x 2 gang s way switches and a 1 gang 2 way swtich.

One of the lights works off one switch. The second light has 2 switches as does the third.

Light 1 - on a 2 gang 2 way switch

light 2 - on 2 x 2 gang 2 way switches

light 3 - on a 2 gang 2 way switch and a 1 gang 2 way switch

I have red, blue, yellow wires and at the mo one switch seems to do more than one thing, and then another switch wont work unless another is on so somethings wrong somewhere..........

Can anyone offer a quick how to to set it all straight I'd be most grateful.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Did you note how the old switch was wired ?
Did it work properly before ?

Photo of how you have wired the new switch may help.

At first glance it seems like there is a link in the wrong place......

i took a pic of how the old one was wired yes.....howver thinkng about it im not sure it all worked properly in the first place !

I have the red lead in the common hole (top one right?) in all the switches then yellow/blue in the L1 and L2.

Someyellow/blue are sleeevd some not

i've created an album with the pics of the 3 switches.....
[/img]

first pic - switch one....left switch just works one light...right switch runs a light on a 2 way

2nd - switch 2....right swith works the same light as the first pic .....left switch runs the 3rd light

3rd - switch 3 runs same light as the left switch on previous pic

Sponsored Links
I have just replaced a broken 2 way 2 gang switch and seem to have stumbled across a problem...i'll explain the set up first.

One of the lights works off one switch. The second light has 2 switches as does the third.

I have red, blue, yellow wires and at the mo one switch seems to do more than one thing, and then another switch wont work unless another is on so somethings wrong somewhere..........

Thanks in advance

Have you altered any of the light fittings or junction boxes? your switching a feed some where. If you have a set of testers switch all off the switches to the off position and test each terminal to see which ones are live and report back.

i replaced switch 2 as it was broken.........unfortunaly nothing to test anything with.........
you'll have to do it by process of elimination, can you see the outer sheath of the cable (grey) usually if so do all of the cores go to the same switch leave your phone number if thats easier i will try talk you through it.

unfortunaly nothing to test anything with.........
Then you must not do electrical work, end of.

Get an electrician - wiring by random guesswork hoping to hit on the right connections by chance is something only a complete idiot would contemplate.

Thanks in advance

Sounds as though you've mixed some of the commons up, so that one switch will switch the live on and off to another switch.

unfortunaly nothing to test anything with.........
Then you must not do electrical work, end of.

Get an electrician - wiring by random guesswork hoping to hit on the right connections by chance is something only a complete idiot would contemplate.

Shut up you complete idiot.

Wait, wait....let me get some popcorn..... ;)

In the meantime, if the 1st switch was the one you changed, then the LH common looks like it comes from a different cable to the switchwire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back