wiring regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anybody tell me off the top of their heads weather or not it is a regulation breaker to wire a full final circuit from db to the extremity of the circuit in arctic flex ( i suspect it is ) and where in the regs i can seek further clarification on this. :oops:

Sponsored Links
can anybody tell me off the top of their heads weather or not it is a regulation breaker to wire a full final circuit from db to the extremity of the circuit in arctic flex ( i suspect it is ) and where in the regs i can seek further clarification on this. :oops:

Why?

Is this Vibrobullit407?

Sponsored Links
sorry folks!!! silly me thought id just joined a forum sight of at very least educated electricians who could provide straight talking factual answers to a fairly basic question. bit of humour thrown in for good measure- great!!!!! If i just wanted humour (and pretty crap humour at that) on its own i'd have joined the joke factory. Is there anybody out there???????

sorry folks!!! silly me thought id just joined a forum sight of at very least educated electricians who could provide straight talking factual answers to a fairly basic question. bit of humour thrown in for good measure- great!!!!! If i just wanted humour (and pretty crap humour at that) on its own i'd have joined the joke factory. Is there anybody out there???????
OK, on the offchance that you are genuine, I will be the one who retains some degree of faith in the human race and offer an actual answer ....

....the Wiring Regs (BS7671) are suprisingly silent on the matter of what sort of cable can be used. Provided it is adequately insulated, and sheathed, (which arctic cable is), then there seems to be nothing of which I'm aware in the regs to say that you can't use it for final circuits. One point to note is that the fact that arctic cable has flexible (as opposed to 'solid'or 'stranded') conductors means that you would have to reduce maximum current-carrying-capacities (e.g. Table 4D2A of BS7671) by 5%. You would also need a lot more mechanical support than for the much stiffer T&E cable.

However,as others have asked, "Why?".

If, having asked the question and been given an answer, you now come back arguing, I'll know that the suspicions of others here were correct!!

Kind Regards, John.

You shouldn't be wiring circuits or thinking of wiring circuits if you don't already know the answer to the question.

You shouldn't be wiring circuits or thinking of wiring circuits if you don't already know the answer to the question.
Maybe (s)he wasn't, and wasn't thinking of, wiring circuits - the question said nothing about that :) My view tends to be that we should ascertain exactly what we're dealing with (sometimes it's apparent from the OP!) before offering 'negative'or critical responses.

Kind Regards, John.

Hi John! Nice to see somebody has the ability to answer a question with indeed an answer, and i take on board what you are saying as to anybody asking the question WHY? My predicament is that i just did a periodic on a communal garden area which was wired as i say from a db in an inspection cabinet with no rcd protection provided with said arctic cable running through various underground ducts incorporating multiple joints in inspection chambers ( ie adaptable boxes with flex glands ) and whilst i understand there is other possible issues here i just was alway s taught wether right or wrong that wiring a circuit in flex was fundamentally wrong

Thanks for your reply!!!

If the cable is the correct size for the OPD and load. Is suitable for the environment and mechanical protection as needed. Whats wrong, Its a length of copper at the end of the day.

What is the cable feeding?

As very much an amateur I will, of course, bow to the professionals.

BUT .....

In some circumstances it is very appropriate to use "flex" for fixed wiring. Certainly I have "never" seen cable used in Touring Caravans.

Ok. so i am new to this site!!! what about the guy who states that " if you dont know the answer to the question already you shouldnt be wiring or thinking about wiring circuits" (or words to that effect). Whats that all about. Im guessing that you know the answer to everything my friend. Yeah right!!!! Fact is we all have our failigs and mine is that i really never have to worry too much that i am breaking regs cos i have standard working practices that preclude me from the very worry of this, i just find it difficult whwn it comes to inspections in as much as there is really no need to rip apart somebody elses installation because it wasnt the way YOU were taught!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back