wiring regs

You shouldn't be wiring circuits or thinking of wiring circuits if you don't already know the answer to the question.
Maybe (s)he wasn't, and wasn't thinking of, wiring circuits - the question said nothing about that :) My view tends to be that we should ascertain exactly what we're dealing with (sometimes it's apparent from the OP!) before offering 'negative'or critical responses.

Kind Regards, John.
Yes I was prepared to give the OP the benefit of the doubt but 'weather' and 'arctic' certainly raised my concerns.
This concern was re-enforced by the OP raising the same issue, though in more detail, on a 7 year old post at 2039hrs //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18448&start=15.
You also have to ask yourself why the OP took five posts before he put the issue in context in this post.
So if you don't mind I will still take the view that the OP is out of his depth or is a Troll.
If he is indeed not a cousin of vibro and a genuine registered electrician I would have expected a more comprehensive outline of the issue and not having to pick up the context by moving from one post to another.

Sponsored Links
Hi John! Nice to see somebody has the ability to answer a question with indeed an answer, and i take on board what you are saying as to anybody asking the question WHY? My predicament is that i just did a periodic on a communal garden area which was wired as i say from a db in an inspection cabinet with no rcd protection provided with said arctic cable running through various underground ducts incorporating multiple joints in inspection chambers ( ie adaptable boxes with flex glands ) and whilst i understand there is other possible issues here i just was alway s taught wether right or wrong that wiring a circuit in flex was fundamentally wrong. Thanks for your reply!!!
Your welcome. However, quite apart from the other issues there, in terms of current regs it almost certainly should be SWA, so your question (which appeared to be asking whether flex was an acceptable alternative to T&E) was, as you should know, really a bit irrelevant.

Others are probably going to be suggesting that someone undertaking a periodic inspection (do you know the current terminology?) ought to know all this.

Kind Regards, John.

Yes I was prepared to give the OP the benefit of the doubt but 'weather' and 'arctic' certainly raised my concerns.
I wondered why you raised that - what's wrong with 'arctic'? - e.g. this
This concern was re-enforced by the OP raising the same issue, though in more detail, on a 7 year old post at 2039hrs ... You also have to ask yourself why the OP took five posts before he put the issue in context in this post. So if you don't mind I will still take the view that the OP is out of his depth or is a Troll. If he is indeed not a cousin of vibro and a genuine registered electrician I would have expected a more comprehensive outline of the issue and not having to pick up the context by moving from one post to another.
I agree with your suspicions, and his/her latest response in this thread does nothing to reassure me. However, I do think that there is a tendency for people to 'jump to conclusions' here, particularly when there are memories from the preceding 24 hours to fuel one's suspicions!

Kind Regards, John

AT NO POINT did i ask and even suggest that i was asking if flex was a suitable alternative to T&E!!

Cheers

And kind Kind regards to all

Cal

Sponsored Links
AT NO POINT did i ask and even suggest that i was asking if flex was a suitable alternative to T&E!!
Virtually all recent interior domestic wiring is in T&E. You said nothing about outdoors, so the obvious interpretation of your question (which lacked useful detail) was that you were asking whether flex was an acceptable answer to T&E (and the answer is, generally Yes).

If, having asked the question and been given an answer, you now come back arguing, I'll know that the suspicions of others here were correct!!
Kind Regards, John.

forgive me for coming across even mildly pedantic BUT surely the bones of the matter ie my question was what it was in my first post. If for any reason any of you guys werent happy in the way that i approached this subject surely the humerous thing to do was to put me right in the matter. oh no it seems that the more important thing for youre personal gratification is to ridicule somebody for the way that they ask a question AND to boot question their ability!!!! oh well never mind thought for some ridiculas reason i had joined a FORUM not a bunch of dickheads looking for another way to satisfy their needs. seems i have hit the buttons too many times on this keyboard just to justify my being with the satisfaction of only 1 factual technical answer and 1 factual social answer!!!!!

Regards

CAL

....the Wiring Regs (BS7671) are suprisingly silent on the matter of what sort of cable can be used.

Not as silent as you may think!

I cannot quote from the latest regs. As ever, they are in the van & I can't be rsed... ;)

I'm sure the 17th has a similar reg.

But the 16th quotes:

521-01-04. A flexible cable or flexible cord shall be used for fixed wiring only where the relevant provisions of the Regulations are met.

Which is a catch-all reg that means things like if the cable has the correct CCC and it is clipped more frequently for adequate support (as you suggested for arctic), then it can be used.

at last somebody who can speak good old plain english and speak in a manner not derived from the BIGGOT corner of this godforesaken earth we are now forced to contend with!!! you all know who you are. GET A LIFE

....the Wiring Regs (BS7671) are suprisingly silent on the matter of what sort of cable can be used.
Not as silent as you may think! I cannot quote from the latest regs. As ever, they are in the van & I can't be rsed... ;) I'm sure the 17th has a similar reg. But the 16th quotes: 521-01-04. A flexible cable or flexible cord shall be used for fixed wiring only where the relevant provisions of the Regulations are met. .... Which is a catch-all reg that means things like if the cable has the correct CCC and it is clipped more frequently for adequate support (as you suggested for arctic), then it can be used.
OK, so maybe not quite as silent as I thought (I'll have a look when I get a chance) - but my bottom line still was the same as you suggest above. However, I wrote that when I (as I suspect most others) thought that we were being asked if flexible cable was acceptable for indoor fixed wiring. Now that it has been revealed that we are apparently talking about outdoor, and at least partially buried, wiring, I would say that the goal posts have moved more than a few inches!

Kind REgards, John.

Godfathersparke13, first of all I didn't even understand the original question that you asked and I am completely unqualified to even begin to answer it. However, this is immaterial to my reply.

You revealed your hand as early as your fourth post by stating that you were seeking:

factual answers to a fairly basic question

Therefore you were:

a) Asking a question that you already knew the answer to and were simply courting controversy from the outset, i.e, playing devils advocate.

or

b) Asking a genuine question, which is unlikely. Judging the initial responses from other forum members, it was potentially an obscure or pointless question.

This is an excellent forum, for all individuals, whether they be diy'ers like me or professional electricians who have forgotten more about electric installations that I could ever hope to learn. People come here to pick the brains of able minds to solve basic household jobs, or on a professional level, to exchange ideas, experiences or good working practices.

This is clearly a forum that welcomes a sense of humour as can be seen by any number of previous threads and posts and also welcomes people with a genuine eagerness to learn.

With respect, your original question was not in the spirit of learning or professional dialogue.

Kind Regards.

As long as the the cable meets the criteria in BS 7671 in regards to its design then there is no problem with using artic flex as an alternative to T&E.

Starspark you have posted 3 times on this thread without any helpful advice to the OP. I have noticed on my short time on this forum that you just post personal not technical posts (unless agreeing with someone else after they have posted). I have looked on your history and found that this is very common indeed for you. I have attached a link if anybody would like to see for themselves. //search.diynot.com/forum_sear...&author=starspark&search=Search+Forum&stype=0
Feel free to look through my history as you will be able to see that even though I might not be well liked I do give out information that is relevant and can assist the OP's.

Waiting for the personal non technical response.....................

• Thanks
Reactions: RMS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back