Wiring shower fan - SL/L

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Want to wire up a shower fan which I'm quite comfortable doing, but my fan has 2 lives on it, switched and non-switched.

I'm quite happy that I won't need the timer overrun so to by pass that is it ok just to connect the lives, coming from a spur from the lights in bathroom, together and just have one live and neutral.

And also, does it need an isolation switch/FCU? Obviously the wiring is going to be in the loft, running on 240v, but will only be when the lights are on..

I think I read on a previous thread this can be done but wanted to make sure...

Sponsored Links
Want to wire up a shower fan which I'm quite comfortable doing, but my fan has 2 lives on it, switched and non-switched. ... I'm quite happy that I won't need the timer overrun so to by pass that is it ok just to connect the lives, coming from a spur from the lights in bathroom, together and just have one live and neutral.
Yes, if you just connect the live and switched live terminals of the fan together, and feed them from the live from the light (and get the neutral from the light), the fan will just come on and go off with the light.
And also, does it need an isolation switch/FCU? Obviously the wiring is going to be in the loft, running on 240v, but will only be when the lights are on...
Electrically, there is no real need for an isolator, other than it is convenient in allowing one to work on the fan without having to switch the lighting circuit off. However, the instructions which come with the fan may 'require' you to have an isolator (and maybe even a 3A fuse) - and, at least for the next couple of weeks (things are changing slightly next year), the Wiring Regulations require you to follow any manufacturer's instructions.

Do I take it that this fan is a new thing, rather than a replacement of an existing one? If so, exactly where will it be located - in particular, how high above floor level?

Kind Regards, John

Hi.

Thanks for your reply. It's a new project, replacing a vent that's already in the shower cubicle - it's useless, but has all the ducting in place. I'm just going to put a fan inline, in the loft , to 'suck' out the steam from the shower.

Well that's the plan anyway...

I don't mind putting an FCU in line, if necessary, but it's an extra cost.[/b]

Hi. Thanks for your reply. It's a new project, replacing a vent that's already in the shower cubicle - it's useless, but has all the ducting in place. I'm just going to put a fan inline, in the loft , to 'suck' out the steam from the shower. Well that's the plan anyway...
That's fair enough, then. If the fan is going to be entirely in the loft, then there are no 'bureaucratic' issues to contend with.
I don't mind putting an FCU in line, if necessary, but it's an extra cost.
As I implied, that's really a question of whether the manufacturer's instructions 'demand it', and what view you take of that. Electrically, there's little/nothing to be gained by adding a 3A FCU when the lighting circuit probably already has 6A or 5A protection. If you did decide to install a FCU, if you used a switched one, that would probably also satisfy any requirement (in the MIs) for an 'isolator'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back